UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies Picture Gallery

Old 11-09-16, 10:10 PM   #1
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Tried it!

Most regulars on here will know that I don't generally do rallies on the exhibitor's side of the ropes but I was talked into a day of engine minding at the Slough canal festival for a couple of fellow club members while they were out and about giving rides on their miniature steamers. I took along a hot air fan to make up the numbers and settled down to see what this showing lark is all about.

I wouldn't say I actually disliked the experience, in fact sitting in the rain just watching the world go by was ok, but found the talking to people bit difficult. Not too many on punters on Sat due to the weather, someone else was on minding duties today but I went back in the afternoon to help pack everything away and the show was teeming - think I got the better day!

NHH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160910_143640902.jpg (127.8 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160910_143910867.jpg (114.2 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by nickh; 11-09-16 at 10:15 PM.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-16, 10:30 PM   #2
slatteybarn

Unhappy

Paying punters are a scary bunch.
Glad you enjoyed the experience,you should stay after hours that's when rallies really come alive.
but on a serious note,well done it's a fair move to come the other side of the ropes,
Regards
Phil.

Last edited by slatteybarn; 11-09-16 at 10:32 PM.
slatteybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-16, 10:36 PM   #3
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Good Job Nick!

Cheers, Steve
Old 11-09-16, 10:44 PM   #4
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Good one Nick! Shame about the weather.

Looks like you had a pretty decent engine to mind as well.

I must admit to enjoying watching the world go by, rushing around all week it makes for a relaxed weekend - I haven't quite reached the nodding off after 5 minutes stage yet.... Quite enjoy speaking to the punters, you meet all sorts and invariably learn something during the day. Hopefully they go away having learnt something too.

Phill.
wolseley phill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-16, 11:04 PM   #5
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolseley phill View Post
(snip)
Looks like you had a pretty decent engine to mind as well.
Amanco, Bamford and the inevitable Lister D all just started up and ran faultlessly all day. So not much actual minding required.

NHH
Old 12-09-16, 10:21 AM   #6
Numpty

Well Done, good for you Nick. We will see you at Kingsfold next with an engine! You don't have to talk to Joe Public. In fact most of the engines I want to talk to the owners about, they are usually absent or ignore you.

Mark
Old 12-09-16, 11:16 AM   #7
'A' Lister

Having the public show interest in the engine you're exhibiting is one of the best bits, it shows you've put on a nice display and they appreciate your efforts. Answering their questions stops me from dozing off or getting bored and the exercise of getting up from my chair and going over to the ropes to talk to them helps me work the pork pie and beer calories off from the night before!

So don't be shy Nick, most of those punters are just like we are... interested in anything old and mechanical and wanting to learn more. So just pretend you are on the forum when they call you over to ask something, and have a good chat with them.
Old 12-09-16, 11:29 AM   #8
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
(snip) So don't be shy Nick.............. just pretend you are on the forum when they call you over to ask something, and have a good chat with them.
Ah but I am - prefer to keep 'real' people at a distance, so when one chap asked if I did school visits I nearly ran away and hid!

Found myself explaining hit-and-miss governing several times and Slough being what it is, the fan attracted quite a bit of attention with its 'made in Pakistan' info board.

NHH
Old 12-09-16, 11:33 AM   #9
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Some folks are just uncomfortable with chatting to strangers - I guess I understand that. However, doing something you're not comfortable with is a way of proving you're still alive!

For me the whole joy of showing (at least, the daytime part!) is to spend time explaining "what" and "why" to the curious "civvies". This year has been noticeably different, as "what" and "why" has been replaced by "how"! I cannot count the number of times I have answered the question; "how did you get that flippin' great thing onto the field?" They have been invariably surprised by the weight of the Tangye, and usually appreciate the explanation of how it's moved.

I particularly like the "non-vintage" shows where the audience are less likely to have witnessed our shenanigans before. On occasion I have stood by the fence all day, and talked myself hoarse.

MP
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 02:01 PM   #10
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
Some folks are just uncomfortable with chatting to strangers - I guess I understand that. However, doing something you're not comfortable with is a way of proving you're still alive!

For me the whole joy of showing (at least, the daytime part!) is to spend time explaining "what" and "why" to the curious "civvies". This year has been noticeably different, as "what" and "why" has been replaced by "how"! I cannot count the number of times I have answered the question; "how did you get that flippin' great thing onto the field?" They have been invariably surprised by the weight of the Tangye, and usually appreciate the explanation of how it's moved.

I particularly like the "non-vintage" shows where the audience are less likely to have witnessed our shenanigans before. On occasion I have stood by the fence all day, and talked myself hoarse.

MP
As the very substantial Tangye does not have wheels, and sits in splendid isolation on the virgin turf, it does appear to have landed as if by magic. I must confess to that being my first question when I saw it, quickly followed by - "what is the wind break for" !

I always talk to punters, it breaks the monotony, and some (most) of them know more than I do !

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote