UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 30-07-17, 09:22 PM   #11
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
Neil,

What you do on your own premises within reason is down to you but as soon as you take it to a Rally, a public place, the rules change.

Martin P
So a brand new compressor CE approved for site work including cross rail isn't safe at a show ?

Neil.
Hornet 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-17, 09:31 PM   #12
Lister M

If it doesnt carry liability insurance no, Cross rail still have to protect there employee's liability whether the pressure vessel is one day old or a 100 years, the pressure vessel still has to be proved fit for purpose.
Old 31-07-17, 09:48 AM   #13
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
If it doesnt carry liability insurance no, Cross rail still have to protect there employee's liability whether the pressure vessel is one day old or a 100 years, the pressure vessel still has to be proved fit for purpose.
Your missing the point Martin, hidden somewhere in all the legal jargon is an exemption for vessels below a certain size, 3.5 litres is below that certain size, but by how much I don't know, the point of my original question.

Neil.
Old 31-07-17, 10:38 PM   #14
cccst70

Default trolley tyres

what about the tyres on my engine trolleys . Arent they pressure vessels?

do I just use a spare wheel and tyre as storage vessel for air and limit it to 30 psi

My mamods run for 7 mins from the BBQ gas cylinder at 70 psi so I could use tyre to smooth air pump out and ac compressor would just cycle in more regular.

I do plan to run mamods from electric motor driving line shaft eventually.
maybe even run the exhaust from stationary SE2 driven by motor into the in on cylinder of roller and let the air from SE piston pump the roller piston.
Maybe there would be too much air loss for this to work.
I did see video on here I think of the awning setup with a windvane pumping water using mamod piston.
cccst70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-17, 11:02 PM   #15
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccst70 View Post
do I just use a spare wheel and tyre as storage vessel for air and limit it to 30 psi
Can't do that
Tire will be over whatever the capacity limit is, and pressure is more than .5bar, the fabled limit below which no vessel needs a certificate

Before my next rally I must get all the van wheels certificated

Neil.

Just in case there is any doubt, this post is intended as a jest*
* = joke

over
Old 01-08-17, 07:47 AM   #16
Appletop

Think the certain size is 3 liters and 3 BAR pressure.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 01:58 PM   #17
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
Think the certain size is 3 liters and 3 BAR pressure.
Mine was 3.5 litres and 10 bar, exempt
I have looked around on google a bit on this subject, but found most of the info is hopelessly tangles in legalese that I soon lost interest, hence a small Leo compressor still sitting under the TV doing nothing.

Neil.
Old 01-08-17, 03:48 PM   #18
ListerHA2

I suppose a pre-charged powder fire extinguisher could be a pressure vessel?
ListerHA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 04:33 PM   #19
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Like Hornet, I tried to get my head round the rules but gave up but I did get this "Twenty-five complete exceptions are detailed in PSSR Schedule 1 Part I. Three partial exceptions are detailed in PSSR Schedule 1 Part II"
and they do include fire extinguishers and vehicle tyres which have been mentioned in this thread.

It's obviously a complicated subject (or at least has been made into one) and I'm sure rally organisers, marshals etc will err on the side of caution and demand certificates for anything more than a toy balloon!

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 01-08-17 at 04:37 PM.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 06:56 PM   #20
Dazzla

It's a very complicated set of rules, and you can argue all you want that your vessel or system is exempt (remember that it's the whole system, pipework and valves included, not just the vessel), but if anything happens the HSE will tear you a new one if you don't have valid test certs and insurance.

Mamod-type engines do fall into the exempt category, but they operate at 15psi (fractionally above atmosphere in real terms) and the boiler capacity is less than 200ml.

Any pressurised system (again, not just a vessel) used in the workplace or in public needs a unique reference, a written scheme identifying all components, annual inspections, a periodic strip down and pressure test, a written report from a competent person (try and determine who one of those is if you really want a challenge!) and insurance. Obviously you'll not get the latter if any of the former are missing or incorrect. Anything running at 10bar is very unlikely to be exempt no matter how much you 'interpret' the regs.

Dazzla