UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 03-05-17, 12:07 PM   #1
eddie78

Default Lister D project

Hi new to the world of stationary engines. as youth I enjoyed going to the steam rallies with my dad and loved watching the engines etc... Anyways me and my dad went to visit Fred Dibnahs house and it relit the fire of all things past, so now a proud owner of a Lister D.

Picked her up on Sunday I know very little about its history, the serial number dates it at 1940 and it is very much in a unrestored condition spent most of its working life living outside ( and it shows).

Got her home changed the oil as it had a nice brown rusty tinge to it, fuel tank is holed, so just ran a funnel fed cleaned the float bowl and she fired up all be not running great but a good foundation for a resto.

the water jacket was/is full of stuff managed to clean a lot out as it was bone dry compressed air blew alot out, dead mouse grain rust etc....

runs quite quiet if you block out the exhaust noise no clanks or bangs etc...

My main concern is how much debris is left in the water jacket I know the proper solution would be to strip the entire thing,

work needed so far is

Exhaust repair/replace its a downturned one and there is no bottom left in it
Governor hook and spring missing, new ones ordered
fuel tank repair its pretty straight and the only hole I have found so far is a 2p sized one the rest is pretty solid

fuel tap is siezed already rebuild the water drain one

This lister doesnt have the normal water drain tap at the front above the oil filler instead there is a bst plug and at the back there is a 1/4 bsp water drain tap and the greaser is at the back as well, all I can think is when the engine was in service it was mounted up a height on a root chopper so the tap and greaser are at the back so they had access

Will sort some pics tomorrow got a quick youtube vid showing its first run its bouncing about but its sitting on a plastic trolley which cant be helping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOrKkVHoXps
eddie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 12:55 PM   #2
2010macjac

You cant go wrong with a lister D all parts are easy to find and fix, you will find however stationary engines do reproduce in your shed!

Sounded like she was running a bit fast hopefully that will be better onece you get the govener hook and spring sorted, when fitting them i find they do not require a lot of tention (just enough to return the throttle)

Good luck with the project and keep posting!
Old 03-05-17, 01:14 PM   #3
Lister M

Eddie,

Welcome, D's are a good starter, please be carefull when cleaning out the hopper with an air line because if it's had mice and rats over it Weil's disease could be about which isn't very nice, pressure wash or hose pipe will damping down.

Martin P
Old 03-05-17, 01:19 PM   #4
eddie78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
Eddie,

Welcome, D's are a good starter, please be carefull when cleaning out the hopper with an air line because if it's had mice and rats over it wiles desease could be about which isn't very nice, pressure wash or hose pipe will damping down.

Martin P
That was the next plan drag her down to the paddock open the drain plug and blast the inards with the pressure washer
Old 03-05-17, 01:21 PM   #5
eddie78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010macjac View Post
You cant go wrong with a lister D all parts are easy to find and fix, you will find however stationary engines do reproduce in your shed!

Sounded like she was running a bit fast hopefully that will be better onece you get the govener hook and spring sorted, when fitting them i find they do not require a lot of tention (just enough to return the throttle)

Good luck with the project and keep posting!
she just has a random spring on at the mo. is it just a case of when fitting the spring winding the adjuster till the butterfly fully opens with the minimum amount of tension? the governor mech is all free and moving as they should
Old 03-05-17, 04:41 PM   #6
2010macjac

Yep just as you said! Shouldnt have any problems then post another video when its fitted and we will advise but i would say she will be perfect!
Old 03-05-17, 05:03 PM   #7
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Just as an aside, us guys with the big heavy stuff also harbour some small engines, we have a couple of D's, a Villiers C45, a few Stuart-Turners and others lurking in the shed somewhere....

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 10:59 AM   #8
eddie78

We some new parts turned up this morning, new sparkplug HT lead and governor spring/hook,

Even the engine does run she doesnt have a load of compression so I am probs going to pull the head grind the valves and no doubt that will lead to pull the crank lol
Old 07-05-17, 10:16 AM   #9
eddie78

Well with the new governor spring etc.. she still runs quick, the little fingers on the governor weights are very worn so will flip them round

The governor rod has been repaired in the past so the question is how long should it be, I have spend hours trawling through the net and cannot find a answer to setting up the linkages,

Has anyone got the set up so I can make sure all the base settings are within orig spec. Thank you
Old 07-05-17, 11:40 AM   #10
2010macjac

Change over the fingers in the governor if they are worn that helps a lot, the rod length is adjusted to suit each engine so that might be fine once the fingers are sorted. for the record the shorter the governor rod the slower the engine will run but if it's too short the engine will struggle to recover after governing and could cut out all together.