UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 23-07-16, 12:56 AM   #11
'A' Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerlad View Post
I have a narrow Rattlenackers scilener on my lister D, at the time I thought it to be 1951 on brought the narrow type to find out it was 1945, I'm not changing it now, no one says anything.

Ollie
An engine in long service would probably have worked its way through at least one exhaust silencer, and the replacement exhaust would have been what the agricultural engineer/distributing agent could get at the time of asking. In the case of a Lister D, a damaged or rusted-through wide exhaust could easily have been replaced with a narrow exhaust. The narrow silencer on my 1940 Lister D is an original Lister item and has the rust pitting in the thick metal it's made from to prove it.

So which would be more original, leaving it fitted with that one, or fitting a modern reproduction wide silencer (if indeed I could buy one!)? So maybe it's best to widen your search, Steve, and buy the best option (bearing in mind price, condition and originality) that's available. After all, as long as you get something structurally sound and comparatively undented you can always swap it and sell it if something 'better' turns up.

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 23-07-16 at 12:58 AM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 02:10 AM   #12
Spark
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
An engine in long service would probably have worked its way through at least one exhaust silencer, and the replacement exhaust would have been what the agricultural engineer/distributing agent could get at the time of asking. In the case of a Lister D, a damaged or rusted-through wide exhaust could easily have been replaced with a narrow exhaust.....
So which would be more original, leaving it fitted with that one, or fitting a modern reproduction wide silencer (if indeed I could buy one!)? So maybe it's best to widen your search, Steve, and buy the best option (bearing in mind price, condition and originality) that's available.......
Excellent points and thank you Jules and I totally get where you are coming from; however, I've been looking for anything, deep or shallow and at the moment it seems that nothing is available - unfortunate because a year or two ago there was a choice I can repair what I have but it really is getting very tatty and for whatever reason/whim I'd like a fat silencer!

All the best,
Steve.

Last edited by Spark; 23-07-16 at 02:11 AM. Reason: tyspod galore
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 05:24 AM   #13
listerlad

Location: Sat in the Garden of England, enjoying the sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
All very good and I'm sorry that Mac's knackers no longer rattle in the way that they used to... but... has anyone got a helpful suggestion as to where I might get hold of a deep pepperpot for my poor old D??

Cheers,
Steve.
Stationary Engine Parts.

Ollie
Old 23-07-16, 07:53 AM   #14
air-cooled

Quote:
Stationary Engine Parts.

Ollie
Read post #1
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 08:57 AM   #15
listerlad

Location: Sat in the Garden of England, enjoying the sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
Read post #1
I was aware of that, what I'm saying is they will have to wait or make do with what they got.

Ollie
Old 23-07-16, 11:20 AM   #16
'A' Lister

Ironically, when I restored my Lister A about 11 years ago (don't the years go quickly!), I ordered a silencer from Mac (Rattlenackers) but he accidently sent me a wide D silencer instead of one to fit an A. I phoned him up and explained what had happened and said 'I'm not sending the Lister D silencer back as it's so nicely made, so I'll keep it as a spare and buy another one to fit my Lister A'. I finally used it on my 'Before and After' 1943 D restoration, so it came in handy, and I'm even more glad I kept it now... it's probably worth more than the engine now there's none around!

PS Just had a thought: try asking Frank Gelder (Frank's Tanks) if he has any Lister D exhaust silencers for sale, I have a distant memory (probably wrong!) that he used to sell them?

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 23-07-16 at 11:23 AM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 01:05 PM   #17
Crash Test Johnie

I saw the ones being sold by Frank's tanks at the 1000 engine rally and was not impressed they looked poorly made and cheap. The connection was a reducing socket just tacked on. Still after a usable deep one myself.
Crash Test Johnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 03:56 PM   #18
Spark
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
I was aware of that, what I'm saying is they will have to wait or make do with what they got.

Is 'they' me?

If it is, then yes, I had figured out that since Stationary Engine Parts don't have any in stock at the moment, waiting for some more to come in was an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test Johnie View Post
I saw the ones being sold by Frank's tanks at the 1000 engine rally and was not impressed they looked poorly made and cheap. The connection was a reducing socket just tacked on. Still after a usable deep one myself.
That's interesting and useful to know - thanks

Steve.
Old 23-07-16, 04:54 PM   #19
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

There are still the cast silencers available - I saw a couple today here at Ducklington.

MP
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 05:34 PM   #20
air-cooled

There is this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lister-d-e...kAAOSwTZ1XkyyE
Which appears to be a Lister A silencer with a reducer welded on.

I have used these in the past:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-Pet...gAAMXQVT9S3-pD
Look OK when painted with matt black wood burner stove paint.

Alternatively I have a very rough deep one, very rusted, with detached baffle and some holes which might see you through a season. Free if you collect.

Phillip
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote