UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 24-02-15, 10:51 AM   #11
novo

Yes, i've noticed the prices of Ds going up a fair bit recently. There is after all a finite supply of them. I know they made a LOT of them but the're being broken/scrapped etc all the time. I'm into blacksmithing & years back, blacksmiths hand tool were everywhere. Now the supply seems to have all but dried up. I remember seeing a lovely condition large anvil in an antique shop with a lump cut out of the top edge & a sledge hammer welded to it. The blacksmith version of a lister D with flowers in it i assume.
Old 02-03-15, 10:56 AM   #12
FHPearman

Picked up the D type yesterday, I spotted the chainguard so it was included in the sale. The man I bought it off had had it for 18 years and only got it running for the ebay auction. It didn't sound too good when I turned it over(alarm bells ringing)

The exhaust I think is an old oil filter and the tank from a Jap or similar.

The Number on the Flywheel is 164405, a 2HP supplied to S&F Green Of Haverfordwest 27-12-1940

[

The Crankcase door tells another story 3905 DH6 1 1/2HP (1956)

Also there are no holes for the frosty weather plate on this door, were they sometimes fitted elsewhere or not at all? (Terrible photo I know)

Last edited by FHPearman; 02-03-15 at 11:24 AM. Reason: corrected bad spelling
FHPearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-15, 11:22 AM   #13
FHPearman

First thing first off with the door, no dipper, Great! I also found the source of the nasty noises when turning it over, the big end is knocking around all over the place.

click to see video

very sloppy side to side and up and down!

I'll jump forward at this point to show the piston and con-rod

Ive seen better bearings

Thankfully the crankshaft seems unaffected but i'll have a closer look when I get the flywheel and pulley off it.

The dipper has snapped off at some point, I couldn't find it in all the sludge in the crankcase. It looks to me like the con-rod has been clamped in a vice distorting the threaded hole.

More of the strip down to follow, when I get back from work.

Thanks for looking

Fred
Old 02-03-15, 11:30 AM   #14
Lister M

Fred,

To help you along the magneto is earlier than both serial no's, the head is correct for both No's, the carburetor is correct for the 1940 No, the only way I know to determine if its a 1.5hp or 2 is the size of the flywheel and the governor springs, likely hood is that the wrong crankcase spec plate is fitted.

I have a D with frost plate missing and no drillings either.

Martin P
Old 02-03-15, 02:20 PM   #15
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Looking at the pics it appears to have the smaller flywheel as the mounting brackets are all touching the floor.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-15, 02:37 PM   #16
air-cooled

The later crankcase doors didn't always have the frost plate fitted. If its not drilled for the plate then it was not fitted originally.

Phillip
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-15, 04:03 PM   #17
'A' Lister

From memory (I lent my Lister D book to a mate so can't check!), most of it (apart from the bits Martin pointed out) looks about right for an early '40s engine, I'm not sure about the rocker cover with the ridges either side though. Both my early 1940s Ds have rocker covers without the ridges. Maybe that's from a later engine too? Does anyone else know?

Crankcase doors were often swapped around when people were servicing these engines, especially in a busy workshop where several engines may have been worked on at the same time.

Another possibility: the brass plates are quite often missing, so enthusiasts often tend to replace the original door for one with the brass plates on. The plates were missing from my first D, so I bought replacement from a rally stall and then ground off the serial number and re-stamped it using the number from my D's flywheel. Not everyone will bother to do that though.

The correct fuel tank for your D (assuming it is an early '40s one!) would be the one with the large, brass filler cap. However, these tend to be harder to find in good used condition, so it may be easier to find a good second-hand one with the pressed-steel type fuel cap. There are usually one or two D tanks on the club stall at the 1000 Engine Rally if you are struggling to find one. Someone on the forum may have a spare big end bearing for a D or maybe a good replacement con rod, with bearings and the correct type of oil dipper already fitted? Hope this is useful and best of luck with the restoration.

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 02-03-15 at 04:10 PM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-15, 04:18 PM   #18
Lister M

I had my F seize at a rally a couple of years ago when my dipper broke and fell off, a friend who is also on here happened to be visiting the rally and that night he threaded the end of a piece of square bar and came back with it the next day, I fitted it, after clearing out all of the bits of white metal, the engine ran for that rally with a very sloppy big end and for the rest of the season at several rallys without any knocks or noises, all because of the made dipper. When I finally replaced the big end, which by the way didnt damage the journal, I fitted a correct dipper but still have the made one in my tool box.
There are several places on the internet for bearings.

Martin P
Old 02-03-15, 11:24 PM   #19
FHPearman

Hi all,
I see what you mean about the rocker cover, my other D is 1942 and doesn't have ridges. When I strip the governor I'll know for certain but I'm already fairly confident it's a 1940 engine. As for the other parts I'll just stay patient and they'll turn up on ebay or a auto jumble or something.

Anyway on with the engine.

Not sure why these were in such bad condition as they came out easily with a screwdriver in a hacksaw slot. I was expecting them to be seized as they had no heads.

The valves had no caps on them and they were in the wrong seats exhaust in inlet and vice versa.

The Head itself is in good condition, I have a new head gasket already, just need to clean it up and get rid of that red stuff smeared all over it

Bare crankcase ready for cleaning.

Thanks for looking
Fred
Old 02-03-15, 11:41 PM   #20
FHPearman

The Mag, when the mag was replaced the third bolt was cut off and left in situ, the homemade shim has only 2 holes.

It's got a lot of numbers on it, I'm guess the model is - M K 1 3 I don't know a lot about M-L mags. It sparks well but I'll give it a clean up and it'll be fine.

Fred