UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 07-11-13, 03:07 PM   #61
'A' Lister

If it was a recon mag it must be an old one as it's condition was 'in keeping' with the rest of this unrestored 1943 Lister D. :confused: Mind you, in terms of serial numbers, who knows what might have happened during the war if factories were producing stuff as quickly as they could and using auxiliary workers?

Coincidentally, this D is fitted with one of the designs of drain tap that I believe were used on the early D, rather than the snub-nosed version often fitted to later Ds. I quite like the long-nosed tap as when it's time to drain the hopper you can slip a length of flexi PVC syphon hose onto them to prevent water pouring all over the oil filler cap!

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 07-11-13 at 03:13 PM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 04:15 PM   #62
AndyP
Forum Supporter 2011

Iv'e always thought that was a stunning design feature, the water draining directly onto the oil filler.....good old Listers!
Nice cock by-the-way...
Andy.
AndyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 12:22 PM   #63
pulsechoes

Further to the question of the originality of the magneto on this engine, I've just received a picture of another early "low tank" D from a guy in New Zealand and that has the same magneto fitted. Bit more than a coincidence, I think!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1..JPG (81.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 09-11-13, 10:48 PM   #64
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless View Post
These springs to control the speeds you mention are attached to the governor weights in the small round housing near to the mag. The spring near the carb is to give some adjustment around the three speed ranges.
Hello.
Sorry. I may have been confusing in regards to the springs. I was referring to the spring next to the carbi that people were saying is wrong for this little Lister. I was not referring to the springs within the governor (D447, D147 and the D47). Sorry if there was some confusion.
The spring labelled 3174 is the outside spring near the carbi as in this picture. It is evident that there were two springs made for the D's. One for the 500/700 rpm versions and one for the 1000 rpm versions
Does anyone sell the 3174 spring for 500/700 rpm? Or are all the springs the 1000rpm version which would explain the wrong shape of spring on this engine?

Did you happen to get a number for that little Lister Pulsechoes? I wonder if it's roughly the same vintage?
I have also fixed the water tap problem. I took it off and replaced the bung. But thanks 'A" Lister for the picture.

Cheers Scott

Last edited by Scott; 09-11-13 at 10:51 PM.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 12:31 AM   #65
pulsechoes

Yes, He did include the number. It is 93828.
Old 10-11-13, 01:00 AM   #66
'A' Lister

Scott, I think that's the parts diagram from the later (post 1935) Lister D instruction booklet. Have you seen this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-D-I...item2ebfcbecb6

If not, it might be worth checking in case it's a different spring spec/part number in there?
Old 10-11-13, 09:02 PM   #67
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
Scott, I think that's the parts diagram from the later (post 1935) Lister D instruction booklet. Have you seen this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-D-I...item2ebfcbecb6

If not, it might be worth checking in case it's a different spring spec/part number in there?
Hello.
Thanks for the tip.
Another kind person has corresponded to me and it seems no mention of a different spring is in that book.
As I can trace the history of this D for a bit I found out yesterday there is a story to the carbi spring. As part of this history the spring will stay no matter what.
The story is a chook ran away with the original in the late 40's and the spring was never found again. Apparently the then owner could not help himself from breaking open every chook poo he could find with his boot to look for it. The chook poo breaking then became a habit. Looking for the spring in chook guts every cleaning day was another habit even years after the spring going missing.
There was probably a story about where this spring came from but that's been forgotten after the laughter of the chook story.
I would have thought the spring to be way too large for a chook to swallow.

The magneto and magneto dating has me fascinated. On some the dating theory seems to work and on others not so much.
On this little D the magneto works fine. If it turns out to be wrong then it's wrong. The chances are a lot of little D's had these magnetos on them. Maybe those at Lister thought the colonials were lazy so they put on these magneto's on for us. Who would know.

Cheers Scott.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote