UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Generators

Old 05-02-18, 01:51 PM   #1
Eleven

Default Onan Flat Twin Generator

After a plea for an engine in the wanted section I am now the proud owner of an Onan flat twin generator. I needs some TLC which I plan to undertake as an when, and post up some info as I go.

the engine seems to be seized, it won't turn over by hand and applying 12v to the generator only elicits a loud click when the start button is pressed.

Does anyone know about these at all? I understand it is military in origin. Most urgent and visible repair needed is new exhaust pipes and mufflers. At present I'm not bothered about originality, and I've managed to get the remnants of the pipes and flanges off the heads. I plan to braze some steel pipes onto the original flanges and fit mufflers to each one.

Does anyone know what I should consider when looking for mufflers? I planned to look for something from a big lawnmower or garden tractor which would likely have broadly similar displacement and be able to handle the throughput of exhaust gasses.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 01:54 PM   #2
air-cooled

I wouldn't worry about the exhaust system, the first priority would be to find out why it won't turn over and fix that.

Phillip
Old 05-02-18, 02:32 PM   #3
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Depending on which one, it is most likely a CCK.

Plenty of stuff around, you can fit twin stubbies in the ports or have a '2 into 1' branch manifold.

We've got a 3.5kva generator with the CCK engine, it came out of Rosyth Dockyard when it closed as a military storage base.

I do have some Onan manuals, but need to know which engine it is, they made quite a few variants.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 06:16 PM   #4
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Here's our one:

Peter
Old 05-02-18, 11:14 PM   #5
Eleven

Here are some photos. The information plate seems to show it as being a 1941 OTC 5B model?

Pics refusing to upload currently.

Serial 41426
Serial no is B513
Cat Number ZBA 010

Can anyone help? All the info I can find seems to relate to this exact unit. See http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/34175-oban-o...der-generator/ for example.

I'm slightly nervous about pulling the heads off until I can get hold of some replacement gaskets as i suspect these ones are original and won't survive being removed in one piece

Last edited by Eleven; 05-02-18 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 12:11 AM   #6
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I have a manual for the OTC unit, will need to find it as it is probably filed away, but I'll have a look for you.

Peter
Old 08-02-18, 10:15 PM   #7
Eleven

Thankyou, very kind.