UK Stationary Engine Forum
 

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-02-18, 09:37 PM   #31
lister123
Forum Light User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Euxton
Posts: 28
Default

He has told me which is best but as he isn't a stationary engine owner he was the one that suggested that i ask you guys because as i said in the original post we were not sure if the vibrations of an engine running all day might shake it to pieces!!
lister123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 10:21 PM   #32
Appletop
Senior Member
 
Appletop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just outside Diss
Posts: 8,579
Default

31 posts and no one mentioned morning wood......

Must be a record.
__________________


Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 11:29 PM   #33
Lister M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 4,376
Default

Never heard of it
__________________
Lister optimum melius quam ceteri, quid tibi pro vita.
Lister M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 12:20 AM   #34
Paul_Sterling
Senior Member
 
Paul_Sterling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: County Durham
Posts: 7,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lister123 View Post
He has told me which is best but as he isn't a stationary engine owner he was the one that suggested that i ask you guys because as i said in the original post we were not sure if the vibrations of an engine running all day might shake it to pieces!!
Ask him about the natural resonance frequency of the wood. if it correlates to anything below 100hz, you might want to consider something else, 100, should give you a reasonable safety factor.

Paul.
__________________
Paul Sterling A Stationary Engine Obsessionist
Paul_Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 07:54 AM   #35
Appletop
Senior Member
 
Appletop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just outside Diss
Posts: 8,579
Default

For a Lister B I'd just go to my local Ridgeons and get some 4x3 or 4x4 and use that. What I did last time.
__________________


Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 11:28 AM   #36
Tezfair
Forum Supporter 2013
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Holsworthy, Devon
Posts: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
31 posts and no one mentioned morning wood......
Thats because we all know that initially it's good and sturdy but eventually it loses it's integrity and becomes weak and floppy. I believe a couple of blue screws may help restore the ridigity, but it's still only temporary.
Tezfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 11:40 AM   #37
Paul_Sterling
Senior Member
 
Paul_Sterling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: County Durham
Posts: 7,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezfair View Post
Thats because we all know that initially it's good and sturdy but eventually it loses it's integrity and becomes weak and floppy. I believe a couple of blue screws may help restore the ridigity, but it's still only temporary.
If you can get it from Norway its rumoured to be much better..............

Paul.
__________________
Paul Sterling A Stationary Engine Obsessionist
Paul_Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 11:55 AM   #38
Lister M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 4,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezfair View Post
Thats because we all know that initially it's good and sturdy but eventually it loses it's integrity and becomes weak and floppy. I believe a couple of blue screws may help restore the ridigity, but it's still only temporary.
Surely it wouldn't be any good for engines, what tree does it come from.
__________________
Lister optimum melius quam ceteri, quid tibi pro vita.
Lister M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 08:43 PM   #39
Rookesy
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond, North Yorkshire
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
Surely it wouldn't be any good for engines, what tree does it come from.
Pinus Viagrus?
__________________
Regards
Mick
Rookesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 08:51 PM   #40
Lister M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 4,376
Default

your point is,is it Latin. All I need to know is what tree is the wood from.
__________________
Lister optimum melius quam ceteri, quid tibi pro vita.
Lister M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.