UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff

Old 04-04-17, 04:08 PM   #11
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
The F15 maintenance manual appears on ebay from time to time.

Phillip

There's a pricey one here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-Vil...EAAOSw2xRYaWEG
...and if you have a look at the 4th picture the seller has very kindly provided the torque settings!

MP
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 04:35 PM   #12
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Don't know about this particular instance but many older engine manuals don't give torque figures - I guess 'back in the day' fitters just knew by feel when it was about right.

I have seen instructions such as "dead tight" for head bolts which I believe means as tight as you can get it by hand with a spanner of normal length for that size bolt - not your biggest T bar plus a bit of scaffold tube and both feet braced against the engine!

NHH
FT or RFT normally does the trick.....
Old 04-04-17, 06:02 PM   #13
Bertie the BSA
Forum Light User

hello, and many thanks for the replies...including the ones that made me chuckle!
That certain auction site link was great, and though a bit pricey, have gone for it.

many thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated, and going a long way to get this little engine running again.

Kevin & Lois
Bertie the BSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 01:03 AM   #14
plonker

It is 12 FLb as stated, which is light and need to make sure the head is not warped, I always use gasket sealer on the head gasket, Question Please, I am restoring a Villiers Mk. 25 and have bought a another for spares, this however is fitted with the Zenith carb. and looks original to the engine, all the Mk25 engines I have had, have been fitted with The Villiers carb, does anyone know if the later Norton/Villiers Mk. 25,s were fitted with the Zenith? there is no mention in my manual of this carb.?
plonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 11:59 AM   #15
woodsman

I have a pdf copy of workshop manual. PM me if you need it.

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman - but tha can't tell him much.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 02:40 PM   #16
air-cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by plonker View Post
It is 12 FLb as stated, which is light and need to make sure the head is not warped, I always use gasket sealer on the head gasket, Question Please, I am restoring a Villiers Mk. 25 and have bought a another for spares, this however is fitted with the Zenith carb. and looks original to the engine, all the Mk25 engines I have had, have been fitted with The Villiers carb, does anyone know if the later Norton/Villiers Mk. 25,s were fitted with the Zenith? there is no mention in my manual of this carb.?
Mk 20 and 25 engines could be fitted with either the standard Villiers carb or the Zenith 24T-2 carb depending on application. This is regardless of whether the engine is an early or late example.

Phillip
Old 15-11-17, 04:22 PM   #17
woodsman

I also have Villiers MK25 and MK20 with Villiers carbs and a MK20HS fitted with Zenith. BTW my copy of the manuals shows both type of carb.
You are welcome to a copy.
Also have service documentation on Zenith 24T-2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170902_150349.jpg (78.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg MK25_25.jpg (45.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6238.JPG (46.2 KB, 6 views)

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman - but tha can't tell him much.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 05:52 PM   #18
plonker

Default Villiers Mk 25

That is very useful thank you, My copy of the Mk.25 manual is dated 1951 and there is no mention of the zenith carb in there, I am familiar with the Zenith because it is fitted to my J.A.P. Mk.6 on my Anzani Iron Horse, and also a Petter engine, just never seen one on a Villiers, that why I wondered if it was after Norton tied up with Villiers, a copy of the Manual would be of help.
Funny coincidence, my Brother in- law came to stay this weekend, he must have been one of the last Management Trainees to join Villiers, straight from Wolverhampton Grammar School, He worked in every department and enjoyed a Fry up every morning in the heat treatment works! they made everything in house, except the tinwork, Odd how a company can vanish so quickly, Leaving Honda to dominate the "Quality" small engine sector, The story of British industry I suppose!.
plonker is offline   Reply With Quote