UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 06-11-16, 11:59 PM   #21
pulsechoes

Hi Phillip, could Your "Spec 18" tank be one for a Lister F with the cross-flow head, hence the outlet on the "wrong" end?
Old 07-11-16, 03:06 PM   #22
air-cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956ld1 View Post
I dont own one of these engines, but I think that your tank is quite an early tank, correct me if im wrong.
kind regards,
Josh.
Yes, small brass cap tank used on pre 1939 engines (or maybe even earlier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
Hi Phillip, could Your "Spec 18" tank be one for a Lister F with the cross-flow head, hence the outlet on the "wrong" end?
I had two of these narrow D type tanks, Charles, the both came with Spec 18 standard Lister D engines, and from the same place. Both engines were badly frosted, seized and with parts missing, so they got parted out, however, both tanks were good having been taken off and stored in the dry. The tank shown is original and not modified in any way.

I don't know if this tank was used on the F type, and never seen a cross-flow head version, but clearly they were for a specific use (unknown) or for a specific customer (also unknown) of Listers.
Phillip
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-16, 04:10 PM   #23
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Looking through DWE's Lister D 'Bible' spec 18 engines seemed to have a lot of different features at different times! Mentioned are two different fuel tanks, one (part number 1/291) used on clockwise rotation engines and (1/285) on anti-clockwise ones! Why were they different, who knows? "Lister D Types are all the same", yeah, right, the recent D Type rally with 233 engines knocked that theory in the head big style!!

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-16, 04:38 PM   #24
pulsechoes

Voila!! One cross-flow headed "F" type.(or could be a "Hybrid") Does it belong to someone on here? If so, what does the plate say, please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010070.jpg (89.7 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by pulsechoes; 07-11-16 at 05:01 PM.
pulsechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-16, 05:35 PM   #25
'A' Lister

That's a nice looking engine, where did you see that Charles?

You're right Pete, I can't remember seeing two absolutely identical Lister Ds on the same rallyfield. There always seems to be some slight difference or other, and I suspect many of them were probably factory fitted rather than bits put on afterwards. It's like Lister used to have a 'dressing up box' rather than a production line! So what are we going to make today?!

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 07-11-16 at 05:37 PM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-16, 07:49 PM   #26
pulsechoes

Google Images, sadly, when searching on "Lister F". it may have been at the Lister D "gathering" but nobody is claiming ownership yet!!
Old 07-11-16, 07:52 PM   #27
Lister M

There is somebody on here who owns a cross flow F type, its not the one in the picture and I will let him decide if he wants to show it.

Martin P
Old 20-11-16, 12:08 PM   #28
Garak

Question Accurate Identification

I'm wondering if I have the correct identification plate on my 'D'.
It's a reverse rotation engine and I believe that the letter 'R' should be stamped on the plate (please see my first post). I have removed the paint from the top, front and rear face of the flywheel to try to find the engine number but all I can find is a small letter 'T' stamped on the top of the flywheel.

Is there another way to date an engine if the first two methods are unsuccessful?

X-Factor, where the bewildered are wheeled out to be sniggered at by multi-millionaires.
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-16, 02:02 PM   #29
Lister M

Garak,

Have a look at the end of the crankshaft, it "may" have the No there, it was also likely that the factory could on rare occasions miss stamp the spec plate.
If an engine was stamped with an R it referred to Radiator cooled, reverse rotation used the letter Z but just to confuse us they were stamped with an R.

Unless the rim of the flywheel has been machined you could still possibly find the No, I use a torch with the room/shed light off and carefully scan the rim, you may recognize some digits, if you find it then try a piece of paper and pencil and doo a bit of brass rubbing to highlight the digits.

Martin P
Old 22-11-16, 10:41 AM   #30
Garak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
Garak,

Have a look at the end of the crankshaft, it "may" have the No there, it was also likely that the factory could on rare occasions miss stamp the spec plate.
If an engine was stamped with an R it referred to Radiator cooled, reverse rotation used the letter Z but just to confuse us they were stamped with an R.

Unless the rim of the flywheel has been machined you could still possibly find the No, I use a torch with the room/shed light off and carefully scan the rim, you may recognize some digits, if you find it then try a piece of paper and pencil and doo a bit of brass rubbing to highlight the digits.

Martin P
No luck unfortunately, all I can find is a vertical line lightly stamped on the back side of the flywheel which seems to correspond with TDC (although on close inspection this line is not accurate) and a letter 'T' clearly stamped onto the top face of the flywheel.

I think the flywheel may have been skimmed during it's life which has removed any previous marks and the two I have found have been added later.

I am going to attempt to determine an accurate TDC and add some timing marks myself, I will post results of this attempt at a later date.

Apart from the tank and magneto (which are later replacements) can anyone tell from the general look of the engine if this could be a spec 18DH reverse rotation from 1936?

X-Factor, where the bewildered are wheeled out to be sniggered at by multi-millionaires.
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote