UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 07-10-16, 10:19 PM   #1
cccst70

Default Nobody warned me of this addiction

Yes Only 5 weeks after buying my 1st lister D I was out last night buying another.
New engine is approx. sept/Oct 1948 1 hp 500 rpm 28DH.
pretty complete just missing magneto chain cover.

started stripdown today and found couple broken bolts. carb butterfly shaft is seized. Exhaust flange split in two

Turns over freely so will probably just pop camera down spark plug hole and if it all looks good I'll not split head off.

its mounted on a set of sliding tensioner rails on a rotten trolley.

This will be a long term project
cccst70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-16, 10:49 PM   #2
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Mmmmmwwwwahahahahahaha, another soul falls to the lure of old iron - too easy!

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 05:33 AM   #3
Combustor

Default ?? What Addiction?

Careful!! Leave them unsupervised and next thing you know they are starting to breed. Don't ask how I know.. Regards,
Combustor.
Old 08-10-16, 07:03 AM   #4
slatteybarn

It started with a D,then a caravan,then a bigger car,then a wd11 then an orchard sprayer,then a van,then a bigger caravan,and the list goes on and the engines get bigger and the driven accessories get bigger,and the sheds get bigger,its not an addiction just a hobby..........!!!!

regards
Phil.
slatteybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 09:16 AM   #5
novo

If its not an addiction Phil why is it i sometimes find myself thinking. "Why am i doing this" I'm convinced there's a "Candyman" selling Ds to get us all addicted.
Old 08-10-16, 09:29 AM   #6
'A' Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by novo View Post
If its not an addiction Phil why is it i sometimes find myself thinking. "Why am i doing this" I'm convinced there's a "Candyman" selling Ds to get us all addicted.
You might be right there, and judging by the number of unrestored Ds that keep turning up, I think he's making them deliberately!
Old 08-10-16, 09:38 AM   #7
pulsechoes

Waste of time warning folks!! Bit like the "Fragile" stickers on parcels and "wet paint" signs, just there to be challenged!! Tell someone to stick to one engine and 10 come available, and You buy another (and another!!) just to "see what happens"!!! As most of You know, I'm vainly attempting to "wind down" but more interesting stuff has surfaced and I'm finding it difficult to "let go".
Old 08-10-16, 09:44 AM   #8
'A' Lister

I know what you mean, Charles, after 33 years of addiction I've recently started craving something stronger and thoughts of a vintage tractor keep filling my head. As Oscar Wilde once said, I can resist everything except temptation!
Old 08-10-16, 10:03 AM   #9
pulsechoes

I though that Your Classic RR would have fulfilled that need!! You obviously don't "break" it very often.
Old 08-10-16, 10:42 AM   #10
'A' Lister

Hmmm... but the classic Rangie isn't old enough to take to steam rallies yet! Besides, values for them have gone a bit daft lately, which puts me off driving it! I think I did just over 200 miles in it last year; it's got just over 46,000 miles on the clock (which isn't bad for something made in 1992) so I want to keep it nice and low or it'll start to affect the value.

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 08-10-16 at 10:45 AM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote