UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 24-03-13, 03:30 PM   #1
4stroke

Default 2 hp d I actually don't believe it

Stuff the timing measurements but thanks to those who responded I finally got 5 mins yesterday to lob a few more bits back on/ together to the point of the first start,after the compression was felt to be very good concidering what the valve seats have come up like,anyway got her all back together,filled with oil,petrol had a swing guess what she fired up almost instantly and sounded really well very consistent firing so I knocked her off after 30 secs or so,so today at about 1:15 ish I decided to fill her with water and give her a proper run and to tinker with setting etc so I started to fill the hopper as you do but I thought something's wrong as its taking more water than usual then I noticed water peeing out from the bearing housing behind the flywheel which was very odd so I can only assume there is internal frost damage which has caused the crankcase to fill with water so as you can imagine I'm NOT a happy bunny this afternoon,has anyone else had this happen?

I was going for a mechanical resto and the plan was to keep her looking original so she's been completely striped,degreased,jetwashed etc it was all starting to look great and then this! MANY hours work down the pan!!!!! Great stuff she's out for the scrap man now!,james
4stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-13, 03:47 PM   #2
biggusdannus
Forum Supporter 2011

Did you replace the head gasket? Don't be downhearted it's likely to be something easy to fix.
Old 24-03-13, 03:52 PM   #3
Appletop

If it was running ok I would have thought it would be the head gasket, chances of it being anything more are slim to say the least, have the head off again and have another look, should be easy to sort.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-13, 03:53 PM   #4
4stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggusdannus View Post
Did you replace the head gasket? Don't be downhearted it's likely to be something easy to fix.
The head gasket was a very good used one which was cleaned,annealed etc I've had many d types and this has never happened the block does have a very slight crack which it doesn't leak from I can't be bothered to strip it to find out why because the mess it made if the work shop floor was ridiculous!
Old 24-03-13, 04:04 PM   #5
HenryB
Forum Supporter 2013

A similar thing happened to my 2hp D type, have a look at this, http://www.stationary-engine.net/for...ad.php?t=32566

Henry
Old 24-03-13, 08:02 PM   #6
4stroke

Well after calming down I've took the head off again! And filled the water jacket which seems to hold water no problem at all so I reckon the head gasket had a major leak from somewhere but I can't find it so I'm going to flat both surfaces down again as use a composite gasket on refitting just got to clean that damn sump again.
Old 24-03-13, 08:10 PM   #7
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Could the cylinder head itself have a crack into the combustion chamber to let water into the bore, or even into the rocker shaft area as you seem to think that the head gasket looked ok?

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-13, 08:23 PM   #8
HenryB
Forum Supporter 2013

When I found water to be getting in the bore of my Lister D, I removed the head and found water on the faces of the head gasket, this suggested that it was the gasket which had failed, I will remove the copper layers and try again.
Old 24-03-13, 08:23 PM   #9
4stroke

There wasn't any water in the cylinder at all,I know what's caused it and I won't be doing it again that's for sure,it was leaking-looking from the top with the timing gear on the left the pushrod hole furthest away from you the water was going from the water way and just absolutely peeing in from that pushrod hole.
Old 24-03-13, 08:25 PM   #10
HenryB
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stroke View Post
There wasn't any water in the cylinder at all,I know what's caused it and I won't be doing it again that's for sure,it was leaking-looking from the top with the timing gear on the left the pushrod hole furthest away from you the water was going from the water way and just absolutely peeing in from that pushrod hole.
How did it end up doing that?!