UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies Picture Gallery

Old 16-08-18, 10:40 PM   #11
Robotstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
Photo 083, just wondered if you'd taken a picture of the large information board that accompanies the engine.

Thanks,
Phillip
I do take all my photo's on max format so I've cropped the board, if it's still a struggle to read let me know and I'll try to increase the original.

TangyeCR by Robert Starr, on Flickr

Stuart.
Old 16-08-18, 10:53 PM   #12
Robotstar5

Just my luck the exhibit number is not visible, but from the guide I believe it is a 1920 Tangye Z Town-gas engine giving 1.75HP

Stuart.
Old 16-08-18, 10:58 PM   #13
air-cooled

Thanks, Stuart, that's great, I was wanting to get an idea of the date. 1920 seems quite late for a hot tube engine, but 30930B would date to about 1920/1921 on a list that I have seen. This style of small Tangye is not common, maybe not a popular selling line, but there are a few about dating between about 1914 and 1921. It also appears in hot bulb and HT ignition versions, as well as the hot tube one photographed.

Phillip
Old 17-08-18, 09:56 AM   #14
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Philip. The Tangey Z hot tube is very rare with very few examples known I sent some photos to Kerry Morris a few years ago. He told me only only a handful were known. they are quite different to all the other Tangey models with the hot tube assembly on the side. I know of only one in NZ.

I suspect that in the period they were built they would be expensive and old technology even though Tangey did build some hot tube engines quite late.
Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 01:06 PM   #15
danthetangye

Quote:
Thanks, Stuart, that's great, I was wanting to get an idea of the date. 1920 seems quite late for a hot tube engine, but 30930B would date to about 1920/1921 on a list that I have seen. This style of small Tangye is not common, maybe not a popular selling line, but there are a few about dating between about 1914 and 1921. It also appears in hot bulb and HT ignition versions, as well as the hot tube one photographed.

Phillip
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervyn cloake View Post
Philip. The Tangey Z hot tube is very rare with very few examples known I sent some photos to Kerry Morris a few years ago. He told me only only a handful were known. they are quite different to all the other Tangey models with the hot tube assembly on the side. I know of only one in NZ.

I suspect that in the period they were built they would be expensive and old technology even though Tangey did build some hot tube engines quite late.
Merv.
Sometimes advertised by Tangyes as the 'Baby' Gas and Oil Engine. They were not as popular (nor run as well in my opinion) as the larger engines, and bear more resemblance in style to the Waller engines (Charles Pinkney designed engines for both companies). From know engine dates on Kerry's register the date of 1920 for that serial number fits into the sequence well.

Regards,
Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 05:42 PM   #16
air-cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervyn cloake View Post

Merv.
Hi Merv,
Hot common are the HT ignition and hot bulb versions of this engine ?
Thanks,
Phillip
Old 17-08-18, 09:48 PM   #17
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Philip, The photos I had and were passed on to Kerry were of the only "Z" I know about, so I don't know anything about other versions. I have seen another 1 3/4hp Tangye that is much earlier and had a hot tube on the front. That engine was in pieces and I have no worthwhile photos. it was a very small engine and the rocker arm indicated that was a 1 3/4hp gas engine. I have not seen or heard of another that small.

Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-18, 09:32 PM   #18
Robotstar5

Thought I'd put up a few on the non-SE exhibits.

GlosVin18_004 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

GlosVin18_022 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

GlosVin18_031 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

GlosVin18_106 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

GlosVin18_112 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

GlosVin18_114 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

GlosVin18_131 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

GlosVin18_153 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

GlosVin18_167 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

GlosVin18_171 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

Stuart.
Old 19-08-18, 10:56 PM   #19
Stickney

Quote:
Photo 083, just wondered if you'd taken a picture of the large information board that accompanies the engine.

Thanks,
Phillip
The engine is about 1 1/2hp and belongs to a chap from Leicestershire. He has a lot to do with the Abbey Road pumping station and took me on a behind the scenes tour a fe years back. He has owned and rallied the engine for over 40 years. these small Tangyes are different to all other sizes with a 5 bolt head and an upright inertia governor rather than the usual horisontal 'mini over hump back bridge' governor.
Stickney is offline   Reply With Quote