UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 21-05-08, 10:28 PM   #31
angamoos

does this do any damage to the flywheel key??
angamoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-08, 04:58 PM   #32
Barney
Forum Light User

I have tried to remove the key from my Petter A1 without success. I have only just acquired the engine so have soaked the lot in penatrating oil and hoping that will ease the problem. Thanx for the great ideas which are most helpful, I think I will manufacture the plate with puller bolts. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Barney; 30-06-08 at 05:01 PM.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-09, 03:56 PM   #33
Jason k

Hi lads i tried everything to get the key out of the flywheel of a big crossley and couldnt so i went and bought some 29/9 welding rods (very expensive) but worth it. Get a length of 1" threaded bar and weld it to the end of the key using the 29/9 rods then get tubular bar to fit over the shaft and the key then get flat plate and put a hole in the centre then a nut and washer and tighten it up and it came out no problem at all and a quick rub on the grinding stone and the key was perfect..........
Old 23-07-09, 09:19 PM   #34
Bob Gibson

Hi Guys, i just welded a piece of threaded rod to the key so it extends over the edge of the shaft, then i slipped a pipe over the shaft and put a plate on the end, and a nut , i then just wound it out with the nut. regards Bob
Old 23-07-09, 10:00 PM   #35
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

I used this method the other day to get a broken key out of a Novo that was giving me a lot of grief it works very well.
Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 11:32 PM   #36
LJK
Forum Light User

Default Flywheel Key Removal

If a key has rusted away on the outside or been broken off, I've used a deep reach drill bit and drilled at low speed 50% of the key out. Then I constructed a simple metal cage to fit over the hub and spot welded it together and finally used a heavy hydraulic pullers and pulled the flywheel off the crank.
LJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 11:36 PM   #37
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason k View Post
Hi lads i tried everything to get the key out of the flywheel of a big crossley and couldnt so i went and bought some 29/9 welding rods (very expensive) but worth it. Get a length of 1" threaded bar and weld it to the end of the key using the 29/9 rods then get tubular bar to fit over the shaft and the key then get flat plate and put a hole in the centre then a nut and washer and tighten it up and it came out no problem at all and a quick rub on the grinding stone and the key was perfect..........

My crossley flywheel practically fell off, i cant get the other one off as a cast iron pulley has been graunched onto the shaft so am currently beating bits of that away
Fowler 1PA,Petter W1H,Stuart P4,Villiers WX11, Single flywheel Lister A, 1931 & 1929 Shafty D's,1929 Bruston D,Wolseley WD2,Superbloc 3hp,Conord F2,1943 Fairbanks ZD,Lister Butter Churn,Brackett pump,Maroilles butter churn, D & F twin pump
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 11:00 AM   #38
Paul_Sterling

Default interesting revlation

Hi folks

i've been speaking to some of the guys at work about how we used to make/fit/remove keys, and soemthing interesing has come of it

after the keys were made and flattened, the head was rounded on the face that faces towards the flywheel hub, this allowed a gouge shaped wedge to be fitted in and it can then be brayed out without the taper slipping off, its apparently a very effective way of driving the key out, though i still like the dreadnaught key puller i made from 1/2" steel, works quite well.

i've got no pictures of this type of key in operation, but i will try and make a drawing

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Sterling; 01-10-09 at 11:05 AM.
Paul_Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote