UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 04-07-10, 12:04 AM   #21
nitro74cs

I found a teclamit grease gun aluminum, and it was really dirty and looked dull, first i used fine wire wool with autosol paste and repeated couple of times then finished it with brassa, now its as clean and shiny as a mirror.
Old 22-10-10, 04:30 AM   #22
wagspe208
Forum Light User

Go to the auto parts store and find some aluminum wheel cleaner. Thoroughly degrease the part. Spray the wheel cleaner on, rinse it off in a couple of minutes. Bing. Looks excellent. DO NOT use this on polished parts.
I think I use Eagle 1. We use it on intake manifolds all the time.
Wags
wagspe208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-10, 12:30 PM   #23
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Might have to try some of these things on my Petter diesel, gradualy making it look smarter.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-10, 12:57 PM   #24
oldchadders
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shaw View Post
Morning all, does anyone have any ideas on getting cast aluminium really clean and back to "as new" condition. One of my engines is looking dull and have tried carb cleaner,petrol, brasso etc etc but without any joy. Cheers Tony
Frosts (http://www.frost.co.uk/) do a product called Aliclean, which I have used on carbs and ali castings like car thermostat housings - finish with an aerosol spray of clear lacquer for a lasting gloss finish

Last edited by oldchadders; 22-10-10 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typos
oldchadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-10, 01:48 PM   #25
pulsechoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro74cs View Post
I found a teclamit grease gun aluminum, and it was really dirty and looked dull, first i used fine wire wool with autosol paste and repeated couple of times then finished it with brassa, now its as clean and shiny as a mirror.
Solvol Autosol leaves a coating on polished aluminium to reduce tarnishing. Cleaning with brasso removes this!!!

Seeing the name "Frosts" always makes me smile. When I was into Classic cars I got a Catalogue from them when they were called "Frost Auto Restoration Techniques" The cover looked funny with the capitals in large print picked out in a different colour, Was it deliberate??

Last edited by pulsechoes; 24-10-10 at 01:54 PM.
pulsechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-10, 04:59 PM   #26
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Well I tried wire wool on the Petter today and that took ages, but, soak it in white spirit first and wire wool works a treat!
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-11, 05:39 PM   #27
sardine

Default soda

Hot caustic soda solution is miraculous and involves no effort, just dip and wash off, hey presto brand new and shiny, remember though if you leave it in there and forget about it it wll totally dissove a small casting into mush !
sardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-11, 07:52 PM   #28
Pugdud
Forum Supporter 2013

I read on this site I think, and a link to making a "sand" blaster from small tubing. The medium used to abrade off the metal was baking powder I think.
I have seen the results of this on a Stuart carb, and the result is breathtaking. It would no doubt do the same for ali.
Tony.
Pugdud is offline   Reply With Quote