UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 09-02-15, 10:31 PM   #21
ant

Hi

Cheers for the replys

I'll measure everything tomorrow and see what I can make just need four cast wheels about 8 inch ish

Cheers ant
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-15, 09:33 PM   #22
ant

Hi

Thought I'd update as its been awhile

Well finally got the cylinder head back from the engineers as they've managed to re con the valves and grind the seatings as they looked a bit bad

saw decided to get the cylinder head ready for paint today as ive painted the rest of the engine while i was waiting for the cylinder head to come back. Saw I decided us a brush on the grinder to strip the off paint the head saw as I was going along all of a sudden a load of white dust came off head and noticed that it was some sort of filler and underneath was a load of brazing where its been badly frosted in two places

Hopfully the filler was only for cosmetic rather used for sealing the head saw I've decided to leave the head full of water for the night and hopfully they want be any leaks as I filled it up about 8 hours ago and saw far its looking good

will upload pick of progress saw far

Cheers ant
Old 20-02-15, 10:01 PM   #23
ant

Hi picks of pr progress

Ant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150217_162442.jpg (71.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150220_115513.jpg (41.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150220_121613.jpg (63.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150220_122054.jpg (39.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150220_123959.jpg (69.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 20-02-15, 10:14 PM   #24
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

As long as it doesn't leak then that is good enough! Paint can hide a lot haha. Have a similar problem to sort out on my Petter W1 block which will give me some 'fun' in the near future.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-15, 10:29 PM   #25
ant

Hi Pete

Cheers for the reply

I'm hoping it doesn't I've left all day in boiling water see if it will help find any leeks in the head

Ant
Old 23-02-15, 09:40 PM   #26
ant

Hi

Finally got the engine all back together yesterday and all nicely painted and lucky there's no leaks from the frost damage

Only problem I am having is getting it started as there is two timing marks one marked spark with straight GiB key down and there other ------ GiB key up on the crank hopefully some knows what I mean

I can put a bit of petrol down the spark plug and will go bang but that's far as shell go as there's plenty of compression and I've given the carb a good clean again and made sure the valve timing is carrect

Any info will be much appreciated as I've think missed summat but duno what

Cheers
Old 27-02-15, 09:00 PM   #27
ant

Hi

Had another hour today with the lister b and still can't get it to run. The problem I am having is that can't get fuel into cylinder for some reason through the carb ive cleaned the carb quite a few times and put a wire down the needle to clean it and see if there is any blockages but still no joy

Was wondering if the carb it self might have seen better days and has anyone else had this problem before

Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers
Old 27-02-15, 09:38 PM   #28
Lister M

How much choke do you use when trying to start, does the pump fill the carburettor and does it flow back to tank via the overflow, how far do you open the valve to allow the fule to be sucked, and how good is your compression.

Martin P
Old 27-02-15, 09:55 PM   #29
ant

Hi martin cheers for the reply

I've used the choke and needle in diffrent possions and compression is very good as when i put my hand over the choke plate it sucks my hand in I haven't put a fue tank on yet just been poring fuel in the carb chamber and letting the excess petrol run down into the petrol can for know

Ant
Old 27-02-15, 10:08 PM   #30
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I begin to see the light...

The overflow is running out through the tube that is supposed to fill the carb, which means that there is not enough fuel in the body for the jet to lift it. Block the brass pipe that has the lid and make sure the body fills with petrol until it flows out through the open topped tube.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote