UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 24-02-14, 10:15 PM   #1
Charlie
Forum Light User

Smile Lister A .... much help needed !

Time for some technical questions then

So you guy's told me this is a caged valve listers A , type 12 ....

But this bit is broken ....

Before i go in spanners blazing , how do we get the broken part out from the hopper ?

And would we achieve much by getting this plug in the middle of the hopper undone ? ( previous attempt by dad had failed ) ....

Any advice would be very much appreciated thanks
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-14, 11:01 PM   #2
slb10420seac

Here's a photo of my slightly earlier engine but with the same caged valves. I've never actually taken mine apart so probably better if someone confirms this. I believe if you remove the nut and retaining x plate, which you have, remove the pin/collet/dish arrangement holding the valve spring up, then twisting the exhaust elbow around should make it drop down. I guess it might need some WD40 and/or heat but there's no point removing the plug in the hopper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1264.jpg (67.8 KB, 130 views)
slb10420seac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-14, 11:24 PM   #3
Charlie
Forum Light User

Brilliant ! thats the first pic i have seen that shows how it should look , so now things are starting to make sense :)

And good news the plug in the hopper can stay put as that's one of the reasons dad gave up trying to fix the thing

Thanks for the help
Old 25-02-14, 11:08 PM   #4
allan grieve

Default Lister A Help

Hi Charlie
Have a look at Tynwald Martin Fordsham thread Lister A caged valve seals. There is a good photo of the inlet and exhaust valve cages removed from his tank cooled engine

ALLAN
allan grieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-14, 11:13 PM   #5
pulsechoes

What's with the "Fast Rotary driven cars", Charlie?? Nothing but a bunch of Wankels!!!
Old 25-02-14, 11:45 PM   #6
Charlie
Forum Light User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan grieve View Post
Hi Charlie
Have a look at Tynwald Martin Fordsham thread Lister A caged valve seals. There is a good photo of the inlet and exhaust valve cages removed from his tank cooled engine

ALLAN
Thanks for pointing that out Allan , there is a fantastic picture there that might be a good reference if a replacement part can be fabricated :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
What's with the "Fast Rotary driven cars", Charlie?? Nothing but a bunch of Wankels!!!
Wanky wankels

Well , i bought a 92 Mazda rx7 a few years ago , it needed a bit of work and i never realy knew much about the rotary engine .

So i spent alot of time reading up on the subject and got her back on the road within a couple of months , turns out its stupidly fast for a suposedly 1.3 litre engine ( although twin turbo charged ) and i just fell in love with it , it realy is more than just a car to me

To be fair it has only blown up the once though , and the coolant seals have only failed the once , but i have the engine out routine down to a tee now and rebuilt the engine myself last time so the car will be a life time hobby for me now
Old 26-02-14, 06:50 AM   #7
pulsechoes

I knew a guy once who owned an NSU RO80, and was always fascinated with the exhaust "note" on it. He said it was great when it was running right, but took a lot to keep it that way! Surprised that they never "really caught on" after the Japanese got hold of them. Interesting concept with a name that couldn't help but encourage "jokes!!"
Old 26-02-14, 07:32 AM   #8
Kevbuts

Default Rotary power

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
I knew a guy once who owned an NSU RO80, and was always fascinated with the exhaust "note" on it. He said it was great when it was running right, but took a lot to keep it that way! Surprised that they never "really caught on" after the Japanese got hold of them. Interesting concept with a name that couldn't help but encourage "jokes!!"
The wankel technology, whilst not the most fuel efficient design (in fact they are quite the opposite), was good enough to allow Mazda to win the Le Mans 24 hours with a rotary powered car back in 1991. As you say, they have a very distinct sound to them, and sound amazing flat out.

Check out this video of the Le Mans winning Mazda 787B running: http://youtu.be/81zhOQ5PvaE

Last edited by Kevbuts; 26-02-14 at 07:34 AM.
Kevbuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-14, 06:33 PM   #9
Charlie
Forum Light User

The 787B is an amazing machine and they do sound amazing indeed

I think Mazda did a great job with the wankel , possibly alot of the unreliable reputation was caused by the owners as its not realy the same as running a piston engined car and you need some degree of mechanical sympathy , they do need a bit of looking after just like the 2 stroke motorbikes do .

As for fuel economy , last time i worked it out it was about 15 mpg driving carefully .

Old 26-02-14, 08:04 PM   #10
'A' Lister

The video of the Le Mans 787b was quite interesting to watch but I do find it a bit 'wasp like' sound-wise, I prefer my cars a bit more growly, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ADQ33e5HDQ OK, so it's not a rotary engine, but it's a good bit of video!