UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 15-07-14, 11:16 AM   #31
'A' Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Nice find, you can see the engine quite clearly if you look at the stills.

NHH
I wonder where that engine is now, if it survived the war for all we know it could be the one either Rob or I own!

Here are a few more links to historic photos of the A28s in use, I've posted some of them before, but there are always a few new members around who might find them interesting (scroll about half-way down the first one to see the photo):

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=32574

The following two are colour photos from The Imperial War Museum Website:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207807

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205188727

In terms of engine colour for the A28s, I've done some research and it appears that the earlier engines (to around mid/late-1941) were probably sent out in standard Mid-Brunswick Green, some complete with the usual 'Lister Junior' transfers. Later engines were probably sent out either in RAF Blue or grey undercoat. Whether this applied to all post-1941 engines I don't yet know, so if anyone has a post-1941 A28s that shows no signs of being anything other than MB Green I'd like to hear from you. The external flywheel rim sometimes seems to have been painted white to increase visibility as a safety measure.

After the war some of these engines appear to have been removed from their bowsers and sent back to Lister for reconditioning and resale (mine finished up on a farm driving a sawbench). I suppose you don't need as many airfield fuel bowsers in peace-time! The ones that were kept by the MOD would almost certainly have been repainted during their working life, probably grey or RAF Blue to match the rest of the bowser.
Old 15-07-14, 05:53 PM   #32
Appletop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
In terms of engine colour for the A28s, I've done some research and it appears that the earlier engines (to around mid/late-1941) were probably sent out in standard Mid-Brunswick Green, some complete with the usual 'Lister Junior' transfers. Later engines were probably sent out either in RAF Blue or grey undercoat. Whether this applied to all post-1941 engines I don't yet know, so if anyone has a post-1941 A28s that shows no signs of being anything other than MB Green I'd like to hear from you. The external flywheel rim sometimes seems to have been painted white to increase visibility as a safety measure.
Not sure about flywheel rims as mine had been cleaned up before I collected it but the rest of the engine looks to be a dark green and I can't see any signs of any transfers at all so that would back up your theory about engines up to 1941.

Thanks for the photo links in your post, very interesting.

One thing that was used around here in the 1980 right up to the 2000's was a Zwicky bowser as a water cart on one of the farms, this was stripped of everything out the back though but it did have a Villiers Mk25 and an Alcon pump put back into the back for filling duty.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister

Last edited by Appletop; 15-07-14 at 05:58 PM.
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-14, 09:24 PM   #33
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

In the first photo, the Vickers Vildebeest in the background went out of service in 1942, so the picture must have been taken before then. The Fordson is a typical airfield tractor, fitted with "racing slicks"!

The second picture is trickier - 222 Sqn were based at North Weald from Aug 41 to Aug 42. Unfortunately I didn't find anything useful about ZD-Z; if it was lost before Aug 42 it would have narrowed the window. The tractor is a more normal agricultural version, except for that "lump" sticking out at the side of the radiator - anybody know what that is?

Allegedly the Yeovilton picture was taken in Sept 43. It's noticeable that the tractor looks "old"; probably commandeered?

MP
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-14, 09:35 PM   #34
pulsechoes

Compressor??
Old 15-07-14, 09:42 PM   #35
Appletop

I wondered that Charles.

Wouldn't think it was a dynamo, be too small for that I would think and the last thing you would want on an airfield in a war would be lights!

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-14, 10:03 PM   #36
Lister M

If you blow the picture up it does look like a compressor.
Old 15-07-14, 10:43 PM   #37
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

I think it is just a shrouded headlamp, a mirror behind it and the dynamo (which those tractors equipped with elektrickery) required and stood out proud of the radiator.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-14, 11:36 PM   #38
'A' Lister

The tractor is definitely fitted with lights, they stick out as pods on metal stays either side of the solid radiator top. If you look closely they appear to be fitted with coloured shrouds/filters for Port and Starboard. The green starboard filter blends in with the colour of the tractor and makes it more difficult to pick out.