UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Suppliers

Old 15-07-14, 04:51 PM   #1
sinna42
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Cast Iron Repairs

As I've recently put out a number of enquiries about repairs to a frost damaged cast iron engine block I thought I should share my findings.

Interestingly there seems to be a concentration of companies around Leicestershire that do this kind of work !!
Actually it all seems quite incestuous as they all seem to know each other !!

Firstly, Cast Iron welding :

Harold Palmer - Cast Iron Welding Services - www.castironwelding.co.uk
This process involves heating the casting to 580 degrees C prior to carrying out the welding procedure.
This process does give rise to some distortion, so wouldn't be ideal for all repairs. Great for removing paint though !
Harold was a very helpful chap who recommended Surelock for stitch type repairs.

Cast Iron stitching :

Adrian Goddard - AD Engineering - http://www.adengineeringuk.com/ - as used by Martinpaff !
Nick - Surelock - http://www.castingrepairs.com/ - a very pleasant chap - a one man band & is into vintage cars & such like !
Brian - Stitchweld - http://stitchweld.co.uk/ - seemed a lot cheaper than the others.
Terry Vincent - Metalock - http://www.metalock.co.uk - as used by Jamie (adgecutler) on his ZPR - see picture attached.

The one thing to bear in mind with these repairs is that they can either be done properly with sufficient numbers of keys being fitted across the crack & then the studs fitted along the crack OR not !!
If there are insufficient keys across the cracks then the joint is potentially weakened as the studs along the crack can force the crack apart.
So you definitely get what you pay for !!!
See picture of Jamie's ZPR for a proper job !!

Note that during my conversations I was warned to steer clear of some other companies that promised similar services, but it's not right to name them here.
It's a bit of buyer beware, I think !

Hope that'll be helpful to someone.

Cheers,

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jamie's ZPR.jpg (139.4 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by sinna42; 15-07-14 at 05:53 PM.
sinna42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-14, 06:32 PM   #2
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

I found Terry to be very helpful. It's not cheap but I think I counted over 500 holes drilled, tapped and studded on the ZPR and they also pressure test the repair.
Here are some pictures of a CS block I had repaired:

Here's a picture I took of the repair before revealing it by using Copper sulphate, barely noticeable:

Funny you posted this Jim, I'm of to hand over another block tomorrow.
Old 15-07-14, 06:37 PM   #3
sinna42
Forum Supporter 2013

Hi Jamie,

It's really good to find out that you've found him helpful & done a couple of great looking jobs for you.
And now another one - well I'd call that a pretty good recommendation !!

All very helpful in the decision making process !!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-07-14, 06:42 PM   #4
air-cooled

We have used AD Engineering for a stitch repair to the frosted cylinder block of a small power engine (Madison). We sent the block by post, Adrian did it and returned it by post within 10 days. Excellent job and good service.

Phillip
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-14, 07:04 PM   #5
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

I remember during the mid-late 80s a Metalock engineer doing quite a large stitching job on I think a large Ruston & Hornsby IP, outside our house on the side of the road. It was the name Dad spoke highly of and if it was good enough for him it's good enough for me, still hear his words now "if a jobs wuf doin' it's wuf doin' well"!
Old 15-07-14, 08:29 PM   #6
oliver
Forum Supporter 2013

we used to use cast iron welding services .and there work was as good as new .they repaired several cast iron castings for customers of mine who had been told it could not be done .there main work was repairing casting imperfections in large engine castings rather than scrap a large v 16 block that had just been cast they could repair to as good as parent metal .they used to brick up the block in a fire brick hearth and the heating and more importantly the cooling used to take about a week
petter m 3hp. mk1.bamford ev1.bernard 8hp. .swan 6.5hp. douglas ft35. bamford sd3. moteur bernard w1, bernard w2,bernard w3,2 bernard wos. bernard d1.bernard k1.bernard b2.bernard c3.bernard d1..ihc m 3hp lister l 1925,listerl l1929,listerlh1935,,baker monitor 1934,lister j 1915,,moteurs deville 1929,bernard k2,bernard d2,crossley 1030,crossley compressor engine 1040,1934 petter S,1929 crossley vo6,motour unie, lister cs 5/1 1953,bernard w13 1949,bernard R2 1926
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 10:45 PM   #7
Stevengine

Default Just a stitch in time

I put some details on here back in November 2011 & December last year giving information about cast Iron welding & stitching & showing a frost damaged Bradford open crank with some bad cracks in its base which I repaired by stitching.

Bradford's are very well known for having weak hoppers due to the flat base & I haven't seen many over the years that haven't suffered the same fate as mine, indeed I remember many years ago another member of our club used to have one too & the base was completely broken away. My own job took a little time, but was fully watertight when finished

Steve
Stevengine is offline   Reply With Quote