UK Stationary Engine Forum
 

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Suppliers > Tanks, Taps, Pipes, Sheet Metal etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-07-18, 09:49 PM   #1
Eleven
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 47
Default Ewarts tap seal bore

Sorry if this is a stupid question, having carefully removed the plunger from the ewarts tap on my new JAP Model O engine it is clear the old seal has seen better days.

The seal is composed of a long rubber section and 2 washers made from rubber or leather or something I think?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159638304@N08/41645947060

the black section seems permanent, but the two washers come off easily.

Do these taps have a standard bore? I see you can buy entire taps, just the plunger or just cork seals on ebay and through stationary engine specialists, but no-one seems to quote a bore. Am I being daft and its standard or looking in the wrong places? Do I replace the black bit and two washers entirely, or just the washers or entire thing? I'd like to keep it as original as possible.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 06:43 AM   #2
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter
 
martinpaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 11,782
Default

I believe these taps are only made in one bore. Because you have the screw-together version, replace the cork washer only. Some are riveted together and it's easier to just replace the whole core.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 12:53 PM   #3
Eleven
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 47
Default

Thank you Martin
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 05:33 PM   #4
danthetangye
Senior Member
 
danthetangye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Deepest Fenland
Posts: 1,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, having carefully removed the plunger from the ewarts tap on my new JAP Model O engine it is clear the old seal has seen better days.

The seal is composed of a long rubber section and 2 washers made from rubber or leather or something I think?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159638304@N08/41645947060

the black section seems permanent, but the two washers come off easily.

Do these taps have a standard bore? I see you can buy entire taps, just the plunger or just cork seals on ebay and through stationary engine specialists, but no-one seems to quote a bore. Am I being daft and its standard or looking in the wrong places? Do I replace the black bit and two washers entirely, or just the washers or entire thing? I'd like to keep it as original as possible.
It has been bodged before to stop it leaking. The two red fibre washers should not be there, and have been fitted to try and make the dried out cork seal. Replacements such as this: Ebay Link should do it. I have had success by making them from several thin washers cut from cork gasket material if you don't fancy laying out for proper ones.

Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 05:35 PM   #5
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013
 
skankin_giant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kernow (Cornwall)
Posts: 11,580
Default

Made them out of a bit of rubber tube before, works quite well but tight.
__________________
The Wizard from The Lizard
WW1 ABC, Brockhouse Spryt, Norman SC, Sattley TA, Scott SE, Stuart H1, K, Pre-P3 & WD, Villiers WX11
skankin_giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 06:15 PM   #6
pulsechoes
Senior Member
 
pulsechoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The beautiful Border city of Carlisle.
Posts: 5,936
Default

4.50 for 4 on ebay.
__________________
Numquam illegitimo carborundum. 1918 Renfrew 1.5hp;C.1919 1.5hp Simplicity; undated 1.5hp Lauson Frost King. 1933 Quentin C1.
pulsechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 08:42 PM   #7
cranium
Member
 
cranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: bristol
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthetangye View Post
It has been bodged before to stop it leaking. The two red fibre washers should not be there, and have been fitted to try and make the dried out cork seal. Replacements such as this: Ebay Link should do it. I have had success by making them from several thin washers cut from cork gasket material if you don't fancy laying out for proper ones.

Dan
Dan:
You are correct in saying the Ewarts tap repair in the posting which started this thread, is a bodge-up. See SE magazine, issue 519, pages 22/23 for a method of repair using cork washers punched from gasket sheet just as you advised.
Martin: there are a number of different sizes and types of Ewarts taps but all basically using the same principle and can be repaired in the same way. I have at least three different sizes in my workshop.
The riveted type can often (not always!) be punched apart and re-peened over with some success. The corks you can buy need to be soaked in linseed or neatsfoot oil before fitting for best results.

Eric
cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 08:55 PM   #8
Eleven
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 47
Default

Perfect, thanks all - 2 replacement corks duly ordered.

Cranium - raw or boiled linseed oil? I have boiled for restoring black plastic trim on cars (top tip!) in the shed.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 10:14 PM   #9
cranium
Member
 
cranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: bristol
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Perfect, thanks all - 2 replacement corks duly ordered.

Cranium - raw or boiled linseed oil? I have boiled for restoring black plastic trim on cars (top tip!) in the shed.
Raw or boiled, should be fine
E
cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 10:46 PM   #10
Appletop
Senior Member
 
Appletop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just outside Diss
Posts: 8,613
Default

For what a pain in the arse those taps are I'd be looking for a normal lever off/on tap.
__________________


Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.