UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Suppliers > Tanks, Taps, Pipes, Sheet Metal etc

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-14, 11:54 AM   #11
Admin Team
Forum Supporter
martinpaff's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 11,774

Originally Posted by Gleniffer View Post
I've heard them called drive screws - like a nail with a very coarse thread.

They are F hard.

Removal techniques as above.
Nope! R&H used (as previously explained above) brass rivets, with a slight taper, that are hammered into plain holes - no thread, no peen, etc. The earlier engines had the (often cast) plates attached with screws, but these are obvious.

If you can get behind the casing, as in the BPR, then it should be possible to drive them out from the other side. If you can't, as in my AP, then removing the head is the easiest option, but only if you can make replacement rivets as I did. The holes are already 1/4" diameter, and to tap them out and fit screws will involve ridiculously large fasteners that will look quite wrong.

If you can drive or pry out the existing rivets it is perfectly feasible to reuse them.

martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.