UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Diesel Engine Section

Old 07-01-18, 09:56 AM   #1
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Default Restoration of a Ronaldson and Tippetts CF

Dan pt is not the only one who likes a challenge.
About a year ago I was offered this engine. the description indicated it was complete so I agreed to buy it sight unseen thinking it was restoreable. On picking it up I found the fuel pump wasn't with it and could not be found. The condition wasn't all that great either. That meant that while I didn't pay much for it it was still too much but any way I kept my word and it came home with me.

Getting it apart presented some major problems, so a lot of patience, diesel and penetrating oil was required which fortunately I have a lot of. The head came off without too much trouble to find the piston was seized solid and rusted so the next few months was spent working on that with a combination of alternate soaking in Diesel and a liberal application of heat with the oxy torch even to the point of getting the piston red hot. Eventually
By loosening the big end bearing caps I was able to shock it into moving. Care should be taken not to be too vigorous as damage can be done to the big end

With the piston out the next challenge was the fly wheel. That is held on with a pinch bolt and a key. Ok simple, undo the bolt and it all comes off. Not this time, the key consisted of a bridge or railway spike with the head cut off and belted in with a sledge hammer, the end was heavily burred where it had been belted in, A few more months of soaking before a serious attempt to get it off. A length of 3/4 inch bar was welded on the key and another heavy piece of steel welded on the other end. This meant I could get serious with a sledge hammer. With this treatment the key came out. A jig and cradle was made up for a ten ton jack. The flywheel fought me all the way, the first jig flew to pieces so a heavier one was made and with the full pressure of the jack it moved and I was able to remove it.

It has become obvious that a doner is required to restore this engine, but that is for the next post'

Merv

[IMG]R and T by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 12:31 PM   #2
air-cooled

Is it a rare engine, Merv ? It looks a bit like a Southern Cross diesel dad once owned.

Phillip
Old 07-01-18, 07:26 PM   #3
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Philip,
It is not a rare engine This one is a 6hp, it is different to the 3 1/2 hp I restored a while back. It is not unlike a National Diesel except the head and valve chest run the other way.

This one is a why bother with it engine!!! A lot of work will be required to get it running, but it will happen. I will update as I go.

Merv.
Old 07-01-18, 08:14 PM   #4
Paul_Sterling

I've just seen a piston of the same shape crown as that this morning at a crank up.

Looking forward to watching the progress!

Paul.
Old 07-01-18, 09:33 PM   #5
Dazzla

Very Blackstone-esque in looks, and the style of piston is just the same as used on springers and DB's.

I look forward to following this thread, Merv. Nice to see you're as at home with a common old diesel as you are with the 'exotics'. There's not too many bridge that gap!

Dazzla
Old 08-01-18, 03:38 PM   #6
Combustor

Hello Mervyn,
That poor old engine really has suffered! A donor is urgently needed. The CF's are sweet runners when in good condition. Was lucky to win an 8hp model in unknown condition , and found it only needed pump timing and injector pressure re-set to get it running perfectly.
Have been told that the fuel pump for Lister CS 6 and 8hp, will fit and work well. Indian made pumps for Listeroid clones are available at fair prices, but would need fuel inlet banjo bolt and fitting changed, smaller thread. Good luck with the restoration. Regards,
Combustor.
Old 09-01-18, 10:24 AM   #7
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

The R and T does have many of the same features as the DB Blackstone. The CH 3 1/2 hp is even more similar. The CF looks more like a National.

Darren, To me an engine is an engine regardless of whether it is "exotic" or common or large or small. My collection has all of these and I am happy to rally, and I have, A Lister D beside my vertical Blackstone Hot Bulb.

I now have the engine apart, so it was time to assess the project The main issues are:-
the flywheel key way severely damaged, the bore not in good condition, An H shaped frost fracture in the water jacket, a dubious crankshaft,no fuel pump and an injector that might be able to be reconditioned. all a bit depressing.

Well, as it happened I heard about another incomplete CF and I was able to get it. No flywheel and a major repair to the water jacket. On taking that one apart I found it had good bearings. big end crankpin and piston. The best part about it is that it is an 8HP. so now there is a plan to go forward with.

With the help of my friend Graham, the plan is to remove the liner from the 5 hp and turn it out to accept the larger piston from the 8 hp and use the crankshaft etc from that engine, I understand all the parts are interchangeable so I can use all the best bits. once all that is done I will figure what to do about the minor details like the pump flywheel Injector etc.

some photos.

Merv

R & T CH 3 1/2 hp
[IMG]DSCF5040 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

some of the dismantled parts
[IMG]DSCF5038 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

flywheel key way
[IMG]DSCF5037 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

Frost crack
[IMG]DSCF5030 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

The doner
[IMG]ronaldson and tippetts by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 09-01-18, 12:35 PM   #8
air-cooled

With the head on it does bear a passing resemblance to a National diesel.

Phillip
Old 09-01-18, 10:33 PM   #9
Dazzla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervyn cloake View Post
Darren, To me an engine is an engine regardless of whether it is "exotic" or common or large or small. My collection has all of these and I am happy to rally, and I have, A Lister D beside my vertical Blackstone[/IMG]
I'm with you on that statement, Merv. And they're all worthy of an attempt at restoration, though I admit some really are beyond it!

Were R&T in collusion with overseas manufacturers at all?

Dazzla
Old 10-01-18, 08:52 AM   #10
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzla View Post
I'm with you on that statement, Merv. And they're all worthy of an attempt at restoration, though I admit some really are beyond it!

Were R&T in collusion with overseas manufacturers at all?

Dazzla
Being optimistic is definitely an advantage to take on one like this. I like a challenge.

Some Australian makers did work with overseas manufactures. I don't think R&T did, the Aussies on here would know more about that,

Today I cleaned some of the parts and cleaned out the fracture, The frost had expanded out the casting, I was able to get it back into shape with clamps. I had vee'd it out a few days ago so today I filled it with JB weld. This is the first time I have done this. In the past I have always welded the cracks with good success.

There is not a lot I can do until we get the cylinder liner out, Friend Graham has the gear for that and he will be here soon to do that for me.

Merv.