UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 27-02-12, 07:54 PM   #1
timrice
Forum Light User

Default lister d water drain bung problems!

hi everyone this is my first post

iv not yet found any other threads that can help me so il describe my problem. proberly a simple one that many of you have encountered. so its a lister d restoration job im working on. now its the threaded plug at the bottom of the water jacket to inwhich the drain tap screws into. problem is the pug was not there when i got the engine and the thread has wasted away. i do have a plug but of course this just falls into the hole! now im thinking drill and tap to a larger size? or that and make up a brass adapter? or can i find a larger tap that i can fit? any help much appriciated as this is my first lister project other than that everything else is going ok at the mo!
many thanks tim
timrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-12, 08:05 PM   #2
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Hi Tim

I assume there are no usable traces of the original thread - it certainly sounds that way from your description.

I would bore the cylinder block and tap the next size up BSP thread. I would then make a custom plug which looks just like the old one but fits the new thread. Done carefully it would be indiscernible from original.

Martin.
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-12, 08:07 PM   #3
villiers man

hi i had the same problem with mine i just drilled and tapped it to a bigger size
villiers man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 11:30 PM   #4
timrice
Forum Light User

cheers guys. defo no thread left! i recon that drilling is me best option any idea of any common drain taps that are of the next sze up i.e. from any other stationay engines etc?

cheers
tim
Old 04-03-12, 11:45 PM   #5
biggusdannus
Forum Supporter 2011

You could always use the tap you have and fit a reducing bush? I assume yoou will be tapping the hole out to 3/8ths? Something like this would be ideal! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-SA1...item231a2ab567
Old 05-03-12, 10:12 AM   #6
Headless

Dan, I suggest you re-read posts 1 & 2, the plug is missing and the tapped hole in the casting has lost its thread due to corrosion.

The only real option is as Martin suggests in post 2 or have a helicoil fitted (this will not be cheap) and then refit the replacement plug/bung.
Old 05-03-12, 07:32 PM   #7
timrice
Forum Light User

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggusdannus View Post
You could always use the tap you have and fit a reducing bush? I assume yoou will be tapping the hole out to 3/8ths? Something like this would be ideal! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-SA1...item231a2ab567
i see what your saying dan il have a look at what size i can tap to (depends on how corroded the hole is ) and if i can get away with a 3/8" tap if so that adapter looks ideal. il let you know how i get on cheers
Old 05-03-12, 08:30 PM   #8
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Tim

I think it's time you posted a picture of you precise problem, because there seems to be some misunderstandings here. What some of us thought you were talking about is the large bung, roughly 2" across fitted in the D-type water jacket, which has the tap srewed into it. If the thread in the crankcase is corroded out and that bung won't fit, then no reducing bush is going to solve your problem.

As I said, take a picture and post it here so we can all understand.

Martin.
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 05:45 PM   #9
timrice
Forum Light User

ah i see what ive done to confuse people! very sorry. iv used "plug" and "tap" incorrectly. im reffering to the the 2 inch PLUG that scres into the crank case casting. it is there but the tapped hole for the drain tap is corroded and although ive a spare PLUG the one on the engine it stuck fast! so changing it wasent an option. so it was a case of drilling and tapping the small hole in the centre of the PLUG to fit and adapter to which the TAP could then be screwed into! sorry for the confusion. anyway jobs a goodun now!

biggusdannus. idea worked a treat many thanks to you! ive posted a before and after pic. oh this also leaves me with a spare brass PLUG with washer if anyone is looking for one.

cheers guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3080042.jpg (36.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P3080048.jpg (44.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-03-12, 05:48 PM   #10
timrice
Forum Light User

the first pic is of the hole drilled and tapped to 3/8 bsp.

the second pic is of the tap now inplace with the use of a adaptor... 3/8 bsp male to 1/4 bsp female!

i dont think it will look too bad once painting is finished!