UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Engine Identification

Old 27-01-18, 11:13 AM   #21
woodsman

Point taken Peter. Thanks for your timely intervention.

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman - but tha can't tell him much.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 07:28 PM   #22
Solsteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
I also thought about bidding, but the seller wasn't very communicative. How did you find him solsteam?

Phillip
Hi Phillip, contact was okay but had to wait for reply late at night or early morning
Solsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 07:35 PM   #23
Solsteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by enriquesacco View Post
Solsteam, I m quite happy you did not get the Stuart Pre-P3 because it would have went on ebay for sale in parts as you did with your Marvil. You' re doing business it seems. Bought the whole lot for 35 and selling Marvil parts ONLY for more than 100. Think the seller must regret selling them to you if he sees your ebay adverts.
I do not break up engines that are restorable and am only guessing at parts values. The remains of the engine didn't even have a con rod. Selling parts for others to restore theirs and trying to get a couple of bob to restore mine. I am keeping 3 of the Villiers and trying to get bits for a part Petter AVA engine
Old 29-01-18, 07:37 PM   #24
Solsteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
To be fair, the Mar-Vil did look pretty ropey and incomplete.

NHH
Thank you NickH
Old 29-01-18, 07:44 PM   #25
Solsteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by enriquesacco View Post
Ok Nick. It is incomplete. But even the Pre P3 is incomplete. So should it be sold in parts for 500 lets say ?

Do note that Solsteam is selling ONLY one engine of the 3/4 he bought for 35 for 105 or more. Keep in mind this price is only for one engine. He will be making 3 x as much the money he spent and he will keep the remaining for free. Such greed he has.

He has not uttered a word since my post. Ha ha, obviously !
I'm replying now. The engine was not restorable to me as to the limit of parts left. 2 of the villiers seemed to be complete. The Mk 10 is not, nor the Petter AVA or 5 Lister Ds I have, And I am keeping all of these. Proceeds to buy parts for all the others. If anyone hasn't bought a used part to restore their engines then fair enough
Old 29-01-18, 07:49 PM   #26
Solsteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
While we all have our views on what is right and wrong, especially on subjects like buying and selling, it is up to the individual to decide how he or she conducts him/herself in the general marketplace.

Buying and selling on is not illegal and many finance their hobby in this way. Many also like to change their engine collection content as time goes by.

While we as individuals may not like what someone does, it is not against any rules and members of the forum should be mindful of that when making comments in public.

Peter
Thank you for understanding Peter. I am on an extremely limited budget and paying over the odds for parts off eBay when it would be cheaper to buy another machine and cannibalise it. This I would never do
Old 29-01-18, 08:04 PM   #27
air-cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solsteam View Post
I'm replying now. The engine was not restorable to me as to the limit of parts left. 2 of the villiers seemed to be complete. The Mk 10 is not, nor the Petter AVA or 5 Lister Ds I have, And I am keeping all of these. Proceeds to buy parts for all the others. If anyone hasn't bought a used part to restore their engines then fair enough
Solsteam, you shouldn't rise to such posts, and I expect it may kick off again.
It is difficult to know what to do with largely incomplete engines, often missing the most desirable parts which are expensive to replace. If I had bought this incomplete Marvil I would have probably kept the carb (as the chances of finding a Marvil without one is fair enough), and sold the other parts as one lot. But each to his own.

I have a Petter A without the carb/mag/sump/cowlings... I have tried to sell all the remaining parts as one lot for not much money, but no interest at all. It will probably be scrapped.

I have some Lister D spares, PM me with your needs to complete your engines (I have no mags).

Enriquesacco - did you buy the pre-P3 Stuart ? I though it expensive for what remained of it, but I could have used the carb off it.......

Phillip
Old 29-01-18, 08:12 PM   #28
Solsteam

Thank you Phillip. As you say I'll just ignore it next time. Thankyou for your offer of parts, I may very well take you up on the offer.
Old 04-02-18, 09:58 PM   #29
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
(snip) If I had bought this incomplete Marvil I would have probably kept the carb (as the chances of finding a Marvil without one is fair enough), and sold the other parts as one lot.
Not wishing to re-ignite any controversy, but as it turned out carb was the only part to sell. Considering a bid on the residue myself as it would save me being tempted to use my largely complete 'spares' Mar-Vil as a donor for the Johnson Utilimotor.

EDIT;http://www.stationary-engine.net/for...ad.php?t=27222

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 04-02-18 at 10:08 PM.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-18, 10:13 AM   #30
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Cheers Jon, 'residue' arrived at work today - and in a handy carry-home pack!

Hope the barracking from Enrique hasn't put you off the forum.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote