UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Towing & Trailers

Old 18-03-17, 04:43 PM   #1
Lister M

Default Mtplm

I've searched the net for a logical explanation of the MTPLM of a van with no luck, does anybody have any idea. I do know that the van I'm interested in the MTPLM is 3000kgs, just dont know how this relates to the vehicle.

Martin P
Old 18-03-17, 05:22 PM   #2
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Maximum Technically Permissable Laden Mass (MTPLM)

Gross weight of the trailer/caravan.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 06:38 PM   #3
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

What used to be the GTW (Gross Train Weight) I suppose?

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 10:03 PM   #4
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Not the train weight, Pete, just the trailer or caravan.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 10:26 PM   #5
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Understandable question - they seem to want to make trailer law more and more incomprehensible...

Say, (for instance) that the max permitted towing weight of your tow vehicle is 1800kg.

You have a trailer with a plated max gross weight (MTPLM) of 2000kg. It weighs 500kgs with a load capacity of 1500kg.

If you only load it to 1300kg, then it's legal - right? Wrong!

The Max Technically Permissible Laden Mass (2000kg in this example) must not exceed the max tow weight of the car, regardless of what load you put on it. It's even illegal empty!

I think this is so that the VOSA experts don't need to weigh anything, if you're over-plated they've got you.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 10:42 PM   #6
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
(snip) I think this is so that the VOSA experts don't need to weigh anything, if you're over-plated they've got you.
That's right, same reason weight limits on bridges are now stated in terms of maximum gross weight - simple roadside document / plate check determines if a vehicle is non-conforming rather than having to haul it off to a weigh bridge.

NHH
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 10:47 PM   #7
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Understandable question - they seem to want to make trailer law more and more incomprehensible...

Say, (for instance) that the max permitted towing weight of your tow vehicle is 1800kg.

You have a trailer with a plated max gross weight (MTPLM) of 2000kg. It weighs 500kgs with a load capacity of 1500kg.

The Max Technically Permissible Laden Mass (2000kg in this example) must not exceed the max tow weight of the car, regardless of what load you put on it. It's even illegal empty!

I think this is so that the VOSA experts don't need to weigh anything, if you're over-plated they've got you.

MP
I take it then, if you have an old self build trailer without any plates they can't get you on that.
One of my colleagues got stopped towing an empty plated car trailer with a restricted "new" licence. The policeman did him for towing above his licences limit and made his grandfather drive the car home as his older licence lower him tow it...............despite the fact he hadn't towed
Anything before.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 11:58 PM   #8
Lister M

If I read this right then, the van has a MTPLM of 3000kgs and my trailer I know is plated at 2000kgs then all is hunky dory.

Martin P
Old 19-03-17, 03:32 AM   #9
pulsechoes

Quote:

MP
If that's true then it has only changed in the last few days. I was checking "Gov.uk" website for trailer weights and it clearly stated that your actual weight is what matters, not what it says on your trailer plate. They can't book you for overweight if you aren't overweight!!!
Next thing is they'll be doing You for speeding because it says 120mph on your speedo.
Old 19-03-17, 07:40 AM   #10
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

...and here's the problem. I replied based on my interpretation of the Caravan Club's interpretation of the rules. ...and I could have completely misunderstood!

In any case, I certainly think that Martin's van is legal. Martin - what does it say on the VIN plate? You should be able to get the max towing weight by subtracting one figure from the other on the plate.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote