UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 26-04-14, 07:50 PM   #461
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

Looks like you made a nice find there Martin, very interesting images of an impressive college. Great to have items like that alongside an engine.
Old 26-04-14, 09:01 PM   #462
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Very impressive facilities. I wonder if there are any ex-students about who remember making the engines .

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 50/75V DC General Electric Dynamo.
PuttPuttBang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-14, 10:22 PM   #463
Kevbuts

Default Great Pics

Lovely photos you've posted there Martin. I studied for my Masters at Loughborough Uni so these engines are quite close to my heart. Nice to see what the workshops were like back in the day. They're quite different now -
The Automotive Engineering dept is more likely to be displaying the latest racing car technology, such a Formula 1 engines now

Great University (I know it was a college back then), and lovely engines they made there too.

A local friend now has two Loughborough Engines in his collection. Both were displayed at the recent Eastern Counties Vintage Tractor Show. Here's a link to the photos Dad posted showing both Loughborough engines:
http://www.stationary-engine.net/for...ad.php?t=36951

Thanks for posting them Martin - A nice bit of Loughborough history preserved
Old 26-04-14, 11:35 PM   #464
danthetangye

Very interesting. Looks like they used a Tangye design for their steam engines...

Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-14, 07:52 AM   #465
jwood

The sub engines are quite well known and photographed. Google U-135

JW
jwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-14, 08:48 AM   #466
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Hmmm... Interesting! It would appear that the engines from SM U-135 (WW1) were rescued when she ran aground on the east coast of Britain in 1921. Students and Lecturers from L'bro took them.

The power station was opened in 1937, but this is the 1937 prospectus, so the picture must have been taken before the facility opened. They were replaced in 1949 - presumably scrapped?

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-14, 08:53 AM   #467
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
Hmmm... Interesting! It would appear that the engines from SM U-135 (WW1) were rescued when she ran aground on the east coast of Britain in 1921. Students and Lecturers from L'bro took them.

The power station was opened in 1937, but this is the 1937 prospectus, so the picture must have been taken before the facility opened. They were replaced in 1949 - presumably scrapped?

MP
Teagle's backup genny was run of a submarine engine a well.

Cheers, Steve
Old 27-04-14, 09:31 AM   #468
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthetangye View Post
Very interesting. Looks like they used a Tangye design for their steam engines...

Dan
Indeed - not the prettiest thing! It's pretty obvious that they copied the National for the oil engine - then added a bit more iron, just to make sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbuts View Post
Lovely photos you've posted there Martin. I studied for my Masters at Loughborough Uni so these engines are quite close to my heart. Nice to see what the workshops were like back in the day. They're quite different now...
Close to us too Kev - No.1 Son (The Crank Monkey) studied for his Masters just up the road in Nottingham, and now works in Loughborough; about 40 miles from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttPuttBang View Post
I wonder if there are any ex-students about who remember making the engines .
A student from this era would be in his late 90s now, but the engines were made until the 60s, so it's distinctly likely that some are still around.

MP
Old 27-04-14, 10:02 AM   #469
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankin_giant View Post
Teagle's backup genny was run of a submarine engine a well.

Cheers, Steve
and ICI Wilton had a WW2 German U Boat Diesel engine. drove the high pressure gas compressor

it got donated to a german museum some time in the 1990s i believe, it was in condition still, and it had been stood for 30 years before Wilton got it.

Paul.
Old 27-04-14, 03:41 PM   #470
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

As is so often the case, I already had the answer to hand - in my own library!

This book was published in 1926, in New York. The USA had also obtained a number of surrendered U-boats, and the engines had been very closely scrutinised;

From the tone of the article, it is clear that the Americans were very impressed indeed with the engines. They comment on how clean the exhaust was, even at idle, how smoothly they ran, and how they were twice as powerful (per weight) as anything being produced in the USA at the time.

The similarities between this engine and those in the Loughborough College are clear.

MP