UK Stationary Engine Forum
 

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-09-17, 12:47 PM   #1
Solsteam
Forum Light User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 13
Default Re-Badged Lister D

Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a rebadged Lister D. I have an as yet unidentified crankcase. It is a 23D spec; I assume these are the only ones with oil filler one side with capability off undoing plate on other side to swap over. Yet there is a rivetted tag on the block with date as 8-3-40 yet it is not a 26D crankcase. Can you let me know what's going on here?
Solsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-17, 12:57 PM   #2
Lister M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 3,906
Default

What does the tag actually say, Lister's used to take engines and refurbished them and resell with a refurbished date tag.
I know of no rebadged engines.

Martin P
__________________
Lister optimum melius quam ceteri, quid tibi pro vita.
Lister M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-17, 02:46 PM   #3
Solsteam
Forum Light User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 13
Default

Hi Martin, all the tag says is 8-3-40 nothing else. Seems a short time to refurbish an engine but does explain the date on a spec 23. Thankyou
Solsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-17, 02:58 PM   #4
Solsteam
Forum Light User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 13
Default

here is photo of tag
Solsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-17, 04:19 PM   #5
cranium
Forum Light User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: bristol
Posts: 15
Default

It looks like a casting number in the pattern to me, rather than a 'tag'. The engine could have been rebuilt at works into a crankcase which was manufactured and machined anytime after that date.
E
cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-17, 04:23 PM   #6
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011
 
Windrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Matlock, Derbyshire.
Posts: 6,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solsteam View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a rebadged Lister D. I have an as yet unidentified crankcase. It is a 23D spec; I assume these are the only ones with oil filler one side with capability off undoing plate on other side to swap over. Yet there is a rivetted tag on the block with date as 8-3-40 yet it is not a 26D crankcase. Can you let me know what's going on here?
My spec 18 D has the removeable plate as well, infact my filler is on the opposite side to normal.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-17, 05:20 PM   #7
eddie78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrush View Post
My spec 18 D has the removeable plate as well, infact my filler is on the opposite side to normal.

Pete.
my 23 and 26 both have the removeable plate but there some slight differences between the crank case such as the oil drain is a different height

I you need any pics etc.... more than happy to help
eddie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-17, 05:38 PM   #8
Solsteam
Forum Light User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranium View Post
It looks like a casting number in the pattern to me, rather than a 'tag'. The engine could have been rebuilt at works into a crankcase which was manufactured and machined anytime after that date.
E
Thank you cranium
Solsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-17, 05:42 PM   #9
Solsteam
Forum Light User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 13
Default

Thank you Eddie that makes sense then. Crankcase could well be a 26 even though a dead spit to a 23. If it is 26 then I have a good idea of its identity although the spec will remain unknown at moment.
Solsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.