UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Pumps

Old 10-10-17, 07:56 PM   #1
Urbanunicorn
Forum Light User

Default Lister Domestic water pump, item id

Good evening all, I'm in the process of restoring my Lister Domestic water pump, I have ordered new gaskets, etc, but that was sometime ago, I'm unsure what the oil seal looks like. I have a small rubber washer which fits over the brass shaft but I can't fit it into the hole in the cup/dish plate? Does anyone have a photo of the correct one they can share? I can't seem to upload a photo I've taken of my suspect rubber washer. Hope someone can help.
Urbanunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 10:02 PM   #2
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Hope these help, if they actually load.

Neil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connectingRod.jpg (50.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg pumpBody.jpg (66.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-10-17, 10:40 PM   #3
Appletop

That small rubber washer goes over the pushrod and just flops about on the shaft, it doesn't fix to anything.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 08:54 AM   #4
Urbanunicorn
Forum Light User

Thanks both, and yes the diagrams opened up, still can't understand how to upload an image my end though.
Appletop, I accept what your saying but I would of thought to prevent oil seepage along the shaft then it would be secured to the oil seal plate in the housing? I have pushed my washer on to the shaft and as it's a tight fit, the shaft won't be sliding through it unless some wear occurs... Will assemble it though as suggested, just didn't want to put it all back together and have to disassemble again.
Old 11-10-17, 09:53 AM   #5
Appletop

The idea is to stop water working back along the shaft and into the oil, the oil side has a cup cast in the end with a return hole back to the sump to alow any surplus oil back into the pump.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-17, 06:54 PM   #6
Urbanunicorn
Forum Light User

Update guys, I contacted Steve at stationaryengineparts, explained my predicament, he advised me purchasing an oil receiver from them which accepts the oil seal shaft washer I had previously bought.
He told me their replacement parts are copied from the genuine Lister ones.
I then sent him a photograph of my oil receiver cap and he said someone had told him it was probably due to the war period when companies 'cut down' or saved 'material' wherever they could.
So I am re-assembling mine with the matched parts from Stationaryengineparts.com, but would of liked to have known if my original oil receiver cup ever had an oil sea? As the hole in the middle was only just larger than the plunger rod.
Old 22-10-17, 06:55 PM   #7
Urbanunicorn
Forum Light User

Update guys, I contacted Steve at stationaryengineparts, explained my predicament, he advised me purchasing an oil receiver from them which accepts the oil seal shaft washer I had previously bought.
He told me their replacement parts are copied from the genuine Lister ones.
I then sent him a photograph of my oil receiver cap and he said someone had told him it was probably due to the war period when companies 'cut down' or saved 'material' wherever they could.
So I am re-assembling mine with the matched parts from Stationaryengineparts.com, but would of liked to have known if my original oil receiver cup ever had an oil seal? As the hole in the middle was only just larger than the plunger rod.