UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 25-02-13, 10:36 PM   #1
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Stuart P4 500w under the knife.

Well for those that remember I have a Stuart Turner P4 1hp 500w generator out in the shed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zARDGQX2nt8

Every seemed OK from initial runs, but when turning by hand I was not quite happy, there was a bit of slack when rocking the flywheel while coming up on compression, so it had to come apart!

Well 1st obstacle is the cylinder head nuts were rusted to the cylinder head, 3 out of 4 were released easily with application of heat and penetration oil, the 4th twisted right off with little effort, ever had the feeling you should have used a nut splitter!
well looking at the studs they were corroded right the way through, the stud that twisted off was the worst, after soaking in paraffin for over a week 3 looked ok, so went on with some tapping, but was defiantly stuck.
I carefully took a hacksaw blade around the head gasket to see if that would release it, but it still held on.
So took the hard decision to cut through the broken stud, sadly the head still hangs on! so at the moment it is soaking upside down with an old spark plug in to see if it can be freed from the inside out.

Also one of the exhaust studs is rusted so bad a smaller die has been put down it and a smaller nut put on the end, this will not do, so will have to be extracted and a right size stud made.

I removed the dynamo so I could get a good check of the bearings and its not good, sadly the mains need redoing as the flywheel side acts as a rigger for the dynamo, and has a bit of up and down play.

Also there is play in the small end and there might be some in the big end. A little disheartened really, but all adds to the fun of it... supposedly

One of the circlips retaining the gudgeon pin has lost it's head which will need replacing.
Also the generator wiring need a look at as the dials and regulator isn't working.

More work then I expected really, but goes to show what seems like a good engine might turn out to have a few issue.

Was thinking of cutting my losses and moving it on, but think I would like to see it done now, going to be a slow project me thinks, but might get the big end out of the Villiers WX11 and see if I cant get both done.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 26-02-13 at 10:37 PM.
skankin_giant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-13, 11:00 PM   #2
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

I believe you know, or are even related to, a decent fabricator? Prevail upon same to make you up a head lifter - basically a puller which screws into the sparking plug hole and bears on the top of the head studs.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-13, 11:11 PM   #3
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Yes that the next thing, I am away for a months or so now, so going to see how the long soak helps.
There is also a press up at the shop but might be a pain to stop it twisting.

Cheers Steve
Old 26-02-13, 03:48 PM   #4
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Mains aren't to bad at 8.45 each. Size is listed in the parts manuel, shame it doesn't say the big end or bush size.
Might have the big end done at a local engineers, not sure I can measure the run out to 0.0015-in.

Cheers Steve
Old 26-02-13, 04:48 PM   #5
Paul_Sterling

Lovely little lump that is mind Steve, well worth sorting out as it will be spot on when finished.

Paul.
Old 26-02-13, 10:30 PM   #6
Ianhw77k

That's a pretty little unit, I love it.
Shame she is in such poor shape internally but a worthwhile project and nothing fatally wrong. I look forward to seeing it done.
Ianhw77k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-13, 12:01 PM   #7
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Well just had a quick check, can't get to much time on it, in-laws arrive today.
The paraffin I had down the bore soaking, has either run out or evaporated, I think it will most likely be the latter lol, when I get a bit of time I will see if the head will shift!

Thanks Paul and Ian for your comments.

Cheers Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 29-03-13 at 12:05 PM.
skankin_giant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 11:26 AM   #8
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Well the parafin soak hasn't helped my stuck head, but has brought something else to light....

Can anyone else see the orange blob at about the 11 O'clock position...

Would seem the head is stuck down with some kind of orange gasket seal, problem is its rock solid!

Wish I seen that before starting to take the head off as it looks like I know have a scrap head and barrel! Piddled off isn't the start of it!

O'well these things are sent to test us....

Cheers Steve
Old 05-04-13, 11:45 AM   #9
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

It will come off Steve - just a matter of finding the right combination of weaponry and brute force!

NHH
Old 05-04-13, 12:15 PM   #10
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
It will come off Steve - just a matter of finding the right combination of weaponry and brute force!

NHH
Yea, David Schofield said to try a bit of heat on the piston and push that up the bore to try and soften it.

Got plenty of meths to create a little heat down the bore

Cheers Steve