UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 16-08-14, 08:52 AM   #1
junior B

Default Lister A bearings

Gents, I've managed to find a pair of used main bearings for my Junior A rebuild. What should the crank to bearing clearance be?

thanks, Phil.
junior B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-14, 09:44 AM   #2
'A' Lister

No idea, and I couldn't see this specification in the book after having a quick 'man look' just now. To be honest, I usually just do a 'lift test' to see if the crank moves up and down in the bearings. If the movement I can feel is significant then I know the bearings have too much wear. If there is just a tiny bit of movement that I can barely feel then I think it's OK, as by the time it's got a film of oil round it there won't be much movement in 'real life'.

I can feel a little movement when I do a lift test on the crankshaft on my Lister A, but I find this reduces when the oil from the ring oilers coats the surfaces, and there is no knocking when its running. I have a spare crankshaft and bearings for when the time comes to change them, but in reality the original ones will probably outlast me, given that the engine only runs a handful of weekends (no more than 100 hours) per year! Hope this is useful.

Can anyone else add anything?
Old 16-08-14, 05:48 PM   #3
steve-v12
Forum Supporter 2011

The main bearings are very wide so you can accept more play than in a lot of other engines, you can feel play in both my A and B main bearings but as stated once there is oil around them you should have no worries.
Stephen :-)
steve-v12 is offline   Reply With Quote