UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 27-05-13, 09:28 PM   #1
james-barnes1

Default Lister A bearings

hi all had my lister a and petter a1 at chipping steam fair this weekend and i have problems with the a big end started to knock but i ended up taking the head off and piston out on saturday afternoon on the ralley field cured that by taking shims out but main bearings are needed to be sorted can you buy new bearings or are they needed to be sent off to get re wight mettaled many thanks
Old 27-05-13, 09:48 PM   #2
'A' Lister

As far as I know, Lister A big end bearings (and main bearings) were a specially cast item made (out of bearing metal) for Lister by Glacier bearings, and I don't think you can get them re-metalled? I'm sure someone on here will soon put me right if I'm wrong about this though.

I hunted around for ages before finding a good second-hand set of big end bearings for mine, as the original ones were worn down almost level with the locating peg. If you do come across a supplier for new bearings please let me know, as I could do with a spare set in case I get another Lister A.
Old 27-05-13, 11:08 PM   #3
james-barnes1

i thaught u might have been abke to as when i did my lister l the conrod got sent off to be re wight metaled
Old 07-08-13, 08:35 PM   #4
double century
Forum Light User

Default Lister A main bearings.

There exist "Oilite"bushes the correct ID and OD for Lister A main bearings,but not long enough.You'll need 2 for each side,one as bought,one shortened to suit. You'll then need to make 2 bronze spacing collars to make up for the shoulders on the original Lister bearings.The inner bushes will need cutting and relieving to accomodate the oiling rings. There are some holes needed but I forget where, copy the ones in the original bearings.I may have forgotten somthing,it was a long time ago that I did this conversion. It worked very well
double century is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:24 PM   #5
jwilsonjnr

A company called 'jel bearings' can make new big end shells and main bearing bushes, and machine the big end bearing(crankshaft), the main bearings can't be machined certainly on my A16, the owner is a stationary engine/vintage tractor fan.
jwilsonjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:44 PM   #6
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double century View Post
There exist "Oilite"bushes the correct ID and OD for Lister A main bearings,but not long enough.You'll need 2 for each side,one as bought,one shortened to suit. You'll then need to make 2 bronze spacing collars to make up for the shoulders on the original Lister bearings.The inner bushes will need cutting and relieving to accomodate the oiling rings. There are some holes needed but I forget where, copy the ones in the original bearings.I may have forgotten somthing,it was a long time ago that I did this conversion. It worked very well
Just my personal opinion, but...

Oilite (sintered bronze) is far too hard and aggressive for use on our un-hardened crank shafts. Probably be ok as long as there is a copious amount of lube, but the first sign of a dry spot and it will rip the journal to pieces.

Now, you're going to say that it worked fine for years, and I'm sure that it's true - my Granny smoked 60 Park Lane a day until she was 107; that doesn't make it a good idea!

White bearing metal is definitely the stuff for the job.

Martin.
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 09:04 AM   #7
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Your could machine it out of a bar of white metal, but it's a complicated bearing to make. We've got the factory drawing for it and we couldn't find anyone to look at it, as there are bits that can't be machined as such.

The dies are probably still with Glacier, but if they were still around, they'd want a 1000+ order to get a batch run off, and if the dies aren't available, forget it.

There was a dealer in SA that had a load of new old stock stuff, but their prices plus shipping were pretty 'extravagant'.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 10:29 AM   #8
jmcgrath

you have the same problem as me in the end we found some used but good bearings off eBay.
Old 14-08-13, 12:13 AM   #9
james-barnes1

thanks for the comments but i sold the engine on a couple of months ago my collection is spiraling out of controll reacently and i am going to have to downsize still have 7 engines