UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 23-07-13, 08:00 PM   #1
Rookesy
Forum Supporter

Default Burgess Blue?

Folks,
I have a Lister A which was supplied in February 1946 to F.H. Burgess Lichfield. Whilst stripping the old paint off I have found that the body appears to have been painted a sort of Prussian Blue colour. Does anyone know if that was the corporate colour for Burgess and if it was what is the proper colour names please.
Old 23-07-13, 08:49 PM   #2
'A' Lister

I believe that Burgess were agents for Lister and sold quite a lot of their engines. So they could have bought in your engine to fit to another machine, such as a water pump or something like that? My 1940 D went to FH Burgess (Contractors) of Newcastle and was fitted to a Blackstone pump (long since gone), and that was standard MB Green; so I don't think blue was a corporate colour for Burgess, certainly not at that time anyway.

If your engine had been 'ordered in' for a client then I suppose they (or the client) could have painted it to match the machine it was fitted to. However, this is just guess-work, so if anyone else out there can turn up some actual evidence then I'd be interested to hear too.

Burgess were still trading until about 4 years ago, and were agricultural engineers and farming/outdoor machinery and country store merchants. I bought quite a bit of kit off them over the years and miss the local Nantwich branch since it closed.
Old 24-07-13, 01:34 PM   #3
stover600
Forum Supporter 2011

Could it of been originally intended for the RAF / refueling outfits and then not supplied due to the end of WW2, later over painted and sold on to the next order ?
Just a thought.
Andy
stover600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-13, 02:11 PM   #4
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Have to admit - the same thought had occured to me. What Spec. is your engine?
I think the Zwicky engines were A28, but of course it could still be an RAF engine without being fitted to a bowser. Over the years we have used countless pieces of equipment powered by petrol engines (generally) and I absolutely guarantee we will have had Lister A-types on other items.

Martin.
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-13, 02:52 PM   #5
'A' Lister

Is there any corroborated evidence that Lister ever produced engines to 'customer spec colours' straight from the factory? If so, this may explain the engine colour. If not, then that's that possibility ruled out.

If you've not finished stripping the engine down yet, is there any colour beneath the blue? You might need to look really carefully to see it though. Be interesting to find out. Oh, and be careful when sanding the old paint off as it contains lead, so wear suitable protection.

PS Martin, Zwicky bowser engines of this age would usually have been 'Spec A28S', featuring the thick rimmed industrial flywheels and a flat machined hopper lip to accept a lid.

PPS Just had another thought, my 1940 Zwicky A28s was sent back to Lister's Cirencester branch after the war in 1946 for reconditioning and re-sale. Do you have the full history for your engine from David Edgington? If not, it might be worth writing to him with the engine serial number and spec to get some more info? This might throw a bit more light on things.

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 24-07-13 at 03:04 PM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-13, 09:00 PM   #6
Rookesy
Forum Supporter

Folks,
I wrote to David who replied that the engine was Spec A29 and went to F.H Burgess, Lichfield on 14/02/46 and he commented that ' indicating almost certainly used in a mixer'

The serial number 260690, if I have read the chart right, indicates that it was made late 1945. I suppose that it could have sat at the factory for a couple or three months before being dispatched. There was no blue colour on the hopper but that could have been stripped back to bare metal at some point. The hopper is the normal type with the raised lip and I cannot see any mounting holes for the D shaped fuel tanks on the A28S.

I seem to remember an article in SEM about someone who had restored a cement mixer with a Lister D that was a pale blue. It was a bit of lateral thinking but I could be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5
Old 24-07-13, 11:00 PM   #7
raggy 1

Our petter a1 has a burgess plate riveted to the fuel tank bracket.There was no blue paint on it just the m/b green. Alan
raggy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote