UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Towing & Trailers

Old 21-04-18, 09:41 PM   #1
slatteybarn

Default Beaver tail trailer

I just brought an old Bateson 3.5t beaver tail trailer(16ft 6 in deck),it came with the most god awfull lighting set up that any body could ever cobble together.
I want to replace the lot.and get it legally lit.does any body have a diagram showing lighting positions and types.
The regs are not that clear when it comes to larger trailers.it's a bit of government gobble-de-gooke.
All help apprieciated.

Regards

Phil.
slatteybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-18, 11:31 PM   #2
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatteybarn View Post
I just brought an old Bateson 3.5t beaver tail trailer(16ft 6 in deck),it came with the most god awfull lighting set up that any body could ever cobble together.
I want to replace the lot.and get it legally lit.does any body have a diagram showing lighting positions and types.
The regs are not that clear when it comes to larger trailers.it's a bit of government gobble-de-gooke.
All help apprieciated.

Regards

Phil.

Lighting regs are basically the same for all trailers, regardless of size. What info do you want to know?

What lights do you want to fit?

Last edited by miley_bob; 21-04-18 at 11:33 PM.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-18, 08:12 AM   #3
slatteybarn

Side markers/reflectors should they be amber or red/white.as far as I can make out it should have something but all I've read is that longer trailer may need them.
I'm thinking of LED lights allround although a greater cost outlay to begin with less hassle in the long run.

Regards
Phil.
Old 22-04-18, 10:16 AM   #4
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatteybarn View Post
Side markers/reflectors should they be amber or red/white.as far as I can make out it should have something but all I've read is that longer trailer may need them.
I'm thinking of LED lights allround although a greater cost outlay to begin with less hassle in the long run.

Regards
Phil.
Side markers should be orange, though the rear most can be red. Depends on overall length as to whether it needs them or not.

I am back at work tomorrow so will dig the info out for you.
Old 22-04-18, 02:36 PM   #5
slatteybarn

Thank you

Regards
Phil
Old 23-04-18, 12:08 PM   #6
miley_bob

According to ECE Reg48 (Installation of lighting & light signalling devices)

If a trailer is over 6m long it requires side marker lamps. Breaking down the text in the regs, the position requirements are as follows.

1 light must be within 3m of the front of the trailer. 1 within 1m of the rear. The maximum gap between lights should be 3m (Centre to centre of the lights).

You must have at least 1 light in the middle 3rd of the trailer length.

Min height above ground for these lamps is 250mm.
Max is 1500mm (Unless shape of body work makes this impossible in which case you can go up to a max of 2100mm).

Additionally the lamps should be allowed to have an angle of visibility with no obstructions of 10 degrees up & down and 45 degrees forward & rearwards.

Its easiest to fit a light that has an in built reflector. There are tons of these available on the market.
Old 23-04-18, 12:26 PM   #7
slatteybarn

Thank you for taking the time to gather the infomatin for me.much appriciated.Saturdays job now sorted

regards
Phil.
Old 23-04-18, 04:51 PM   #8
Kleftiwallah

I wanted to know more about trailers and I tracked down a leaflet issued by the "The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Ltd" (SMMT), It's entitled "Towing and the Law". Sadly there is no I.S.B.N. on it.

Hoever, all it says about lighting is:-
All lights must be in working order.
Lenses and reflectors must be in good condition.
Bulbs must be of correct wattage for the application.

There you are, that just about covers everything!

Cheers, Tony.
Kleftiwallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-18, 10:12 AM   #9
listerlad

Location: Sat in the Garden of England, enjoying the sunshine

I’ve got a 12 ft Bateson Flatbed/ Dropside trailer that had really shoddy wiring, it was a ex-hire trailer off the local Bateson Dealer. Someone told me they were know for there poor bodge jobs.

Ollie
Old 24-04-18, 10:14 AM   #10
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleftiwallah View Post
I wanted to know more about trailers and I tracked down a leaflet issued by the "The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Ltd" (SMMT), It's entitled "Towing and the Law". Sadly there is no I.S.B.N. on it.

Hoever, all it says about lighting is:-
All lights must be in working order.
Lenses and reflectors must be in good condition.
Bulbs must be of correct wattage for the application.

There you are, that just about covers everything!

Cheers, Tony.
That document is aimed at giving the correct info for towing. It is not aimed at the regs for building / modifying a trailer.