UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Member's Vehicles

Old 28-03-18, 10:44 PM   #21
kenham
Forum Light User

I would advise you to convert to 12volt , I kept my Ford 10 van on 6volt until I finally gave in and went to 12 v, transformed the thing. You can get a regulator / cutout for a reasonable price that actually works properly unlike the old 6 v one. We have lights that you can see by and if you do suffer a flat battery you can jump it off another car. Like you I wanted to keep it original but converting it was the best thing I ever did really. Changing the bulbs dynamo etc is easy , 6v starter will last forever, the only thing I never worked out was the fuel gauge so I use a stick. Battery is not a problem as there are so many sizes today and it will be a third of the price of a 6v one.
kenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-18, 12:02 PM   #22
minorman
Forum Supporter 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenham View Post
I would advise you to convert to 12volt , I kept my Ford 10 van on 6volt until I finally gave in and went to 12 v, transformed the thing. You can get a regulator / cutout for a reasonable price that actually works properly unlike the old 6 v one. We have lights that you can see by and if you do suffer a flat battery you can jump it off another car. Like you I wanted to keep it original but converting it was the best thing I ever did really. Changing the bulbs dynamo etc is easy , 6v starter will last forever, the only thing I never worked out was the fuel gauge so I use a stick. Battery is not a problem as there are so many sizes today and it will be a third of the price of a 6v one.
I agree about the battery costs. I picked up a 12 volt one new on ebay for 27 inc delivery. The cost of the same thing at the local motor spares place was twice that. I suppose its all to do with volume re the 6 volt ones (100 for the latest one) but I have gone so far down the 6 volt route now I will stick with it. It does after all make the car work OK but I just need to ensure the battery is put on the battery maintainer when I get home. Re the 6 volt fuel gauge. I do have a circuit somewhere to overcome that which works on smiths instruments.
Old 30-04-18, 12:30 PM   #23
oldengine

Default Invisible alternative

Since I am around the corner from you in New Zealand I cannot do this for you but your 6 volt generator can be rebuilt to cope with the modern load and look the same externally. It will need to rotate faster though. I don't see any point in attempting to fit a 6 volt alternator as the pundits will shoot you down. Another alternative is to go 12 volts and bury the battery inside a 6 volt case. Needs ventilation though. Use a Lucas 12 volt generator but you will still have to rotate it faster. An auto electrician should be able to supply an electronic unit to sort the fuel gauge. Not very expensive either.
The Trev
oldengine is offline   Reply With Quote