UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Diesel Engine Section

Old 13-01-18, 11:16 PM   #31
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Is it Lucas or CAV?

Actually, I can answer that, there are no Ruston applications in the Lucas master parts catalogue.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-18, 12:00 AM   #32
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Is it Lucas or CAV?

Actually, I can answer that, there are no Ruston applications in the Lucas master parts catalogue.

Peter
The starter? I think it may well be a Lucas unit but I am not certain. I will have a look tomorrow if I get the chance.
If you are referring to the FIE then it is a mix of Ruston and CAV. the pumps being of Ruston manufacture although they are almost identical to CAV units in their construction.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-18, 05:43 PM   #33
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Is it Lucas or CAV?

Peter
I was wrong, the starter is a CAV unit.

Dan.
Old 14-01-18, 06:08 PM   #34
ListerHA2

Possibly a CA45?
ListerHA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-18, 10:26 PM   #35
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Hi, The new delivery valve seal arrived and was soon fitted although the pump proved somewhat troublesome to get working. I stripped it right down again and found a tiny piece of the incorrect fiber seal I had used caught between the delivery valve seat and the top of the element.
Trying the engine with the pump refitted highlighted another issue as it was still only running on one. It transpired that someone had messed with the adjuster between the pumps in an attempt to keep it running. Fixing that revealed all was not well with the governor as the speed then surged up and down with the engine just picking up speed before cutting out. This little issue turned out to be an incorrectly fitted collar on the governor that rendered the control spring and its fork inoperative. Fortunately this was easily sorted.

This was the result..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zGw6Kxg_g

It runs really well and sounds good although it is a bit smoky. I'm sure the very old fuel isn't helping here, A decent load would probably clean it up a fair bit.

Dan.