UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Member's Vehicles

Old 20-08-18, 10:28 AM   #31
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
Never really understood how an electronic, or hydraulic parking/emergency brake can be legal.
Quote from vehicle constructions and use regulation.

Neil.
Neil

EU type approval regs are superior to the construction & use regs. We have just designed and built a prototype electric powered truck and it passed type approval tests with the VCA, with an electronic park brake. So electronic park brake looks to be allowable under these regs.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-18, 02:23 PM   #32
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by miley_bob View Post
Neil

EU type approval regs are superior to the construction & use regs. We have just designed and built a prototype electric powered truck and it passed type approval tests with the VCA, with an electronic park brake. So electronic park brake looks to be allowable under these regs.
Allowable yes, but sensible or safe, not so much I'd venture to suggest.
The old fashioned lever with release button between the seats is always going to be more user friendly, and as such safer.

Neil.
Old 20-08-18, 03:47 PM   #33
miley_bob

Quote:
The old fashioned lever with release button between the seats is always going to be more user friendly, and as such safer.

Neil.
I agree that's its much more user friendly. I am not a fan of the modern electronic park brakes.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-18, 04:29 PM   #34
Robotstar5

Quote:

Neil.
I used to have fun taking my Mini for MOT's, it had a flyoff handbrake conversion (useful for handbrake turns) which meant the release button worked opposite to normal.

Stuart.
Old 20-08-18, 05:12 PM   #35
Lister M

Quote:

Neil.
From what I've read the worst that can happen is they don't disengage so would be safe if a little annoying, if youve owned an Astra or a Cavalier there mechanical brakes were good at sticking on.

Martin P
Old 20-08-18, 08:18 PM   #36
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

I too really dislike the EPB. There is one benefit of it though, in an emergency it will monitor the wheel speeds and stop them locking.... That's it, the only benefit I can see. I much prefer the mechanical type and will always try to avoid buying a car with one.

Mt brother had a disco with it fitted and it started playing up, he traded it in having received a massive quote to fix it.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-18, 09:41 PM   #37
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
From what I've read the worst that can happen is they don't disengage so would be safe if a little annoying, if youve owned an Astra or a Cavalier there mechanical brakes were good at sticking on.

Martin P
May only be slightly annoying to you, I can assure you that all the people who have their journey interrupted will be more than slightly annoyed.

Modern cars, to be honest I'm pretty fed up with them in general, if it were possible i'd much rather have a brand new 70's or 80's car.

Neil.
Old 21-08-18, 08:23 AM   #38
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Never really understood how an electronic, or hydraulic parking/emergency brake can be legal.
Quote from vehicle constructions and use regulation.

Neil.
Hi Neil,

The motive power for the parking brake only applies them, they are then ratcheted/held in place, without any further contribution of power (either hydraulically, or electronically) until release.

There isn't any purely hydraulic parking brakes as far as I am aware. Vehicles with rear disc brakes have either a drum brake inside the disc, or a rotating/cam operated onto the pads, both either cable or electronically operated.

Paul.
Old 21-08-18, 09:44 AM   #39
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sterling View Post
Hi Neil,

The motive power for the parking brake only applies them, they are then ratcheted/held in place, without any further contribution of power (either hydraulically, or electronically) until release.

There isn't any purely hydraulic parking brakes as far as I am aware. Vehicles with rear disc brakes have either a drum brake inside the disc, or a rotating/cam operated onto the pads, both either cable or electronically operated.

Paul.
Make no difference to me, electronic handbrakes are not purely mechanical, electric fail and you have no handbrake, if they fail while applied you walk home.

Mankind seems to have forgotten a very important bit of advice.
"Just because you can, does not mean you should"

Neil.
Old 21-08-18, 09:50 AM   #40
woodsman

"Electronic handbrakes:- a good or a bad idea; discuss. Barry."

Was given an Omega as a courtesy car once which was fitted with an electronic handbrake - hated it. Also, I Will Decide When To Switch The Engine Off Thank You!

Also got stuck with a Golf with an electronic handbrake as hire car in Lanzarote. Had to do a (lot more than) three point turn in a steep and crowded car park - nightmare!

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman - but tha can't tell him much.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote