UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Generators

Old 17-03-18, 04:45 PM   #21
swarf

I think the charge circuit diode was faulty because the set now starts, runs, and charges properly.
Thank you all, for posting your helping comments and advice. Chris.
Old 17-03-18, 05:34 PM   #22
Lucien Nunes
Forum Supporter 2011

Excellent news! But I am curious about this diode - I'm not familiar with there being a diode in the charging circuit on this unit, I thought it was switched by a contact on LC, but never saw a clear pic of the schematic inside the box to know what differences there might be. Any chance of a pic and clarification, in case I meet the same in the future?
Old 17-03-18, 07:16 PM   #23
swarf

I find that i get "can't upload this file" when I try to send attachments. I have messaged the admin but no reply. So can't send a wiring diagram.
The diode is in place of the metal plate rectifier that was originally part of the charging circuit.
One last thing, I have fitted an additional mains isolator now with the hope that the feed from the mains cannot happen.
Old 17-03-18, 08:32 PM   #24
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarf View Post
... I have messaged the admin but no reply...
Seriously? The admin passed away just over a week ago, so you're unlikely to get an answer!

If you can't upload an image the chances are the file is too large.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-18, 09:42 PM   #25
swarf

It's always sad to hear that.
I have reduced the file to send, Well done.
The description on the schematic is R = "half wave rectifier(detection)"
and I have written by it GEC ZG13H3G. ?
I now have a 6A diode and a in series resistance in place of the metal plate rectifier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0799.jpg (72.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by swarf; 17-03-18 at 09:49 PM.
swarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-18, 10:02 PM   #26
Lucien Nunes
Forum Supporter 2011

Ah OK, that's not actually in the charging circuit, its function is to rectify the forward drop in the detection choke to hold the detection relay once AC is applied to the load. I'm not surprised this had failed, and it would have been one of the first things to recommend checking at this point, so it was a good call anyway.

Martin - FWIW I visited the site for a couple of days before finding the post about Peter, and then by accident.
Old 18-03-18, 08:16 AM   #27
swarf

It was 12 years ago when I bought the Lister generator and rebuilt it. A lot of the components in the control box were missing and had to be found, so at that stage I had a fair idea of how it worked.
So now, when that start up which included a shotgun style bang, I went into 'help me' mode and pathetically didn't look at the circuit drawing after disassembling the alternator.
I seem to remember years ago when fitting 12v dynamos to engines with magnetic coil and contactor charging control boxes, the dynamo had to be energized by momentarily touching a positive lead somewhere on them to start them generating.
Would this be anything to do with why there was no charging on my initial test run after re-assembling ? Then it charged on the second starting ?

Last edited by swarf; 18-03-18 at 09:21 AM.
swarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-18, 08:34 PM   #28
Lucien Nunes
Forum Supporter 2011

You're correct about flashing the field of an automotive dynamo, as dismantling or long storage can weaken the residual magnetism in the steel parts. A Start-O-Matic generator will also not generate either AC or DC after hand-starting of the engine if the residual magnetism is lost, but should always generate straight away after electric starting, as motoring the machine will restore any lost magnetism with the powerful series field winding. Then, if it generates AC, it must also be generating DC (in order to self-excite) and failure to charge is down to the control gear.

A likely cause of failure to charge is too low an engine speed, or other problem with engine speed detection contacts ES. If these do not operate, plant contactor PC does not energise to complete the starting sequence, and although the machine will produce AC and DC neither will reach their intended destinations and the ammeter will still register a discharge (and the machine will keep motoring until the timed cutout J trips). Or, If the manual / auto switch is set at manual, and the engine started manually with the FCS overridden, AC will be output from the panel even while ES and PC have not operated, and it will give the appearance of being in working order although will not charge the battery.

Last edited by Lucien Nunes; 18-03-18 at 08:50 PM.
Lucien Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-18, 01:22 PM   #29
swarf

That's interesting that residual magnetism can be lost in the Lister dynamo as well as in smaller car dynamos.