UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Member's Vehicles

Old 23-09-18, 09:15 PM   #91
listerlad

Location: Sat in the Garden of England, enjoying the sunshine

Basically I’m having to deal with there solicitor now who’s written up a agreement that says they will repay x amount cash and pay 495 via card. The whole sale was cash including the deposit. Getting quite complicated.

Ollie
Old 25-09-18, 09:47 PM   #92
somian

As regards crankshafts winding up, I heard a story many years ago that Packard, who loved straight 8s, tried what was effectively two straight 8 blocks end to end to give a straight 16, but had to abandon the idea because the crank wound up so much the valve and ignition timing went totally awry, and since it was load torque dependant, it couldn't be adjusted out.

That said, I believe some big marine diesels are straight 14s, but presumably are so massive that everything is comparatively stiffer
somian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-18, 10:00 AM   #93
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by somian View Post
As regards crankshafts winding up, I heard a story many years ago that Packard, who loved straight 8s, tried what was effectively two straight 8 blocks end to end to give a straight 16, but had to abandon the idea because the crank wound up so much the valve and ignition timing went totally awry, and since it was load torque dependant, it couldn't be adjusted out.

That said, I believe some big marine diesels are straight 14s, but presumably are so massive that everything is comparatively stiffer
Its part of the reason why a lot of the racing teams who tried straight 8 and v16 f1 engines (Mercedes and BRM to name just two) went for centre of crank power take off, the engine was treat like two four pot engines (or two v8's) but had the primary and secondary balance of an in-line 8.it worked to a degree, though in the case of the BRM v16 it snapped quill shafts for fun. Climax found the same thing 10 years flatter with the Fwmw flat 16.

On marine engines the speed is low, so mass is less critical, things can be made massive, but there is still torsional vibration and twisting to consider,especially as lumping due to firing is more pronounced at lower speeds.

Paul
Old 26-09-18, 10:09 AM   #94
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerlad View Post
Basically Im having to deal with there solicitor now whos written up a agreement that says they will repay x amount cash and pay 495 via card. The whole sale was cash including the deposit. Getting quite complicated.

Ollie
You shouldn't be dealing with their solicitor. Would you deal with the legal team for Curry's if you took a faulty dish washer back after 2 weeks?

Under the Consumer Rights Act you are legally entitled to reject the car within the first month and get a full refund. If they are fobbing you off to a solicitor they are just time wasting and hoping you will go away. Have you sent them a letter formally rejecting the car? If not, why haven't you?
If you have sent it, follow it up 2 weeks later with a Letter Before Action, threatening court action.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-18, 01:58 PM   #95
minorman
Forum Supporter 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by miley_bob View Post
You shouldn't be dealing with their solicitor. Would you deal with the legal team for Curry's if you took a faulty dish washer back after 2 weeks?

Under the Consumer Rights Act you are legally entitled to reject the car within the first month and get a full refund. If they are fobbing you off to a solicitor they are just time wasting and hoping you will go away. Have you sent them a letter formally rejecting the car? If not, why haven't you?
If you have sent it, follow it up 2 weeks later with a Letter Before Action, threatening court action.
Yes, The small claims court is easier to use than you might think. Just keep documentation, any reports. phone calls, copies of postal receipts etc and if you need them you will have the basis of a small claim. I have done it and it's surprising how easy it is to do it. If you have to go there. make and take 3 copies of all documentation etc to present. 1 for you, 1 for the defendant and one for the judge. It worked for me and the judge just laughed and told them to pay up.
Old 03-10-18, 12:17 PM   #96
listerlad

At this rate it will be going to the small claims court. I am now at the point I’ve had no acknowledgement of the last 4 emails I have sent to the solicitor.

Ollie
Old 04-10-18, 08:28 AM   #97
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
At this rate it will be going to the small claims court. I am now at the point I’ve had no acknowledgement of the last 4 emails I have sent to the solicitor.

Ollie
Solicitors don't work by e-mail, they still do everything by snail mail.

You will have far more success if you WRITE to them, and use recorded post so that you know exactly when your letter arrives, and for good measure, Cc the garage in everything.

Email is not infallible, and for some reason Solicitors avoid it like the plague.

Paul.
Old 04-10-18, 08:53 AM   #98
miley_bob

Quote:

Ollie
As advised before, stop dealing with the solicitor. Your contract is with the seller, not the solicitor. If it goes to small claims court, you will be suing the seller, not the sellers solicitor. If he wants to pass any correspondence to his solicitor, than let him, you don't have to.

Did you write a formal rejection letter within the first 4 weeks of owning the car? Have you stopped using the car? Why are you emailing? Send everything in the post, and go to your local Post office and get a free proof of posting.

So far it seems you have ignored all the advice given on here. If you carry on doing so, you will struggle to get a penny back from the seller.

Last edited by miley_bob; 04-10-18 at 08:57 AM.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 12:21 PM   #99
listerlad

So went to take back the Citroen, Friday after work. Got there to find they was locked up and gone home. Couldn’t contact them either. Phoned them Saturday and left a message. I agreed to also collect my Ford Focus Saturday so decided to go and collect it regardless. As it happened the guy at this used car lot was out getting a car valeted so I would have to wait till he come back. In the meantime the chap had phoned home and dad then phoned me so I returned it Saturday. Got my money back minus 90 which I went back and managed to get out of them. I then went back to the other car lot to collect the focus.

Ollie