UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Suppliers > Paints & Finishes

Old 01-09-16, 07:59 AM   #11
donp
Forum Supporter 2013

OK, lets get a few things straight here, 1st, the tank is cast iron, it does NOT leak, 2nd, I do NOT want to paint the outside, my engines stand for the winter period minus any fuel in the system and quite often during the other months with out fuel in tanks. I do not want to use sealant in my other engines they have either normal type tanks except the one that has an alloy tank

Using the available fuel tank sealers is not an option as removing engine from tank would break the seal, all I want to do is paint the tank inner part for reasons mentioned and engine base plate but NOT any parts where gaskets are needed.

Thanks Richard will have a look at your idea
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 08:19 AM   #12
Numpty

Quote:
Originally Posted by donp View Post
Using the available fuel tank sealers is not an option as removing engine from tank would break the seal, all I want to do is paint the tank inner part for reasons mentioned and engine base plate but NOT any parts where gaskets are needed.
...and I see no reason why Nicks suggestion of painting on available tank sealants wont work either. They are only 'sloshed' due to lack of access in a cap sealed tank. With open access yours will be easy to paint. Just mix up as much as you think you will need and get painting. A small tank wont take long and the sealant should not have set before then. If it does just do a smaller quantity and concentrate on one area. Think you would need to use a throw away brush though. As for using fibreglass resin, be careful, some are attacked by modern petrol as are tank sealants so make sure you buy something that IS ethanol proof.
Personally I'd use the right product for the job.

HTH

Mark

Last edited by Numpty; 01-09-16 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-09-16, 05:32 PM   #13
K_N_S_JENNINGS
Forum Supporter 2013

any of the slosh products can be brush painted on, it's making sure that the surface is ready to take the product that is the key to a good sealer!.

Simon
K_N_S_JENNINGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 05:53 PM   #14
donp
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks for that Simon, could not find out is these type of sealants were able to be applied via a brush.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 06:38 PM   #15
K_N_S_JENNINGS
Forum Supporter 2013

When you think about it Don brushing it on is better than sloshing it about as you know it is getting into all the areas properly, the only reason they slosh it is because you can't normally gain access with a brush inside a tank.

Simon
K_N_S_JENNINGS is online now   Reply With Quote