UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Member's Vehicles

Old 26-11-17, 12:51 AM   #161
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Buy one while you can https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/a...ders-do-battle

Another thoroughly practical little vehicle consigned to history. Still miss the Wagon R in a way - Skoda Roomtser (also now discontinued!) is excellent but that wagon truly embodied the epithet 'multum in parvo'.

NHH
The New Jimny I gather (from Suzuki) will be an evolution rather than revolution, centered mostly around getting better MPG than it currently does (which for a 1300cc with part time 4wd is very poor). so expect a small boosted engine and/or hybrid.

We've had ours for just under 3 years, and apart from lousy interior build quality (dubbed "The Rattlebox") its been an impressive car, practical, drives well enough, its off road skills are exceptional, even on standard road biased tyres, but its snow and ice performance are in a different league, even better than my Disco, especially on Ice, where the Disco understeers, the Jimny is very sturdy and stable.

Paul.
Old 26-11-17, 01:19 AM   #162
pulsechoes

I've yet to see any car that's "good" on ice except rally cars with studded tyres and ice racers. My Range Rover 3.5EFi Vogue was hopeless on snow and ice. No stopping it once it got away. Where I lived at the time had a lot of bendy roads and big grass verges. Did quite a bit of ploughing before I got to the gritted roads.
Old 26-11-17, 01:49 AM   #163
Robotstar5

Used to love my Mini in the snow, although the sump guard came in handy a couple of times when I got a bit over enthusiastic

Mini01 by Robert Starr, on Flickr

Stuart.
Old 26-11-17, 03:53 PM   #164
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
I've yet to see any car that's "good" on ice except rally cars with studded tyres and ice racers. My Range Rover 3.5EFi Vogue was hopeless on snow and ice. No stopping it once it got away. Where I lived at the time had a lot of bendy roads and big grass verges. Did quite a bit of ploughing before I got to the gritted roads.
A Jimny is definitely one to experience Charles. The RR and Disco are very nose heavy and like to "centrifuge out" on corners. At 1000kgs, the Jimny is very nose light, and doesn't have much for gravity or centrifugal force to mess around with.

The light weight has for many years been why a lot of re-engined Jimny's have been near undriveable on the road. These days though I think with the clutch of three-cylinder turbos on the market, it is very feasible to have a more powerful Jimny without a nose heavy penalty. In fact I started gathering the parts myself for a Jimny project, Suzuki Jimny and Ford 1.0 "Fox" ecoboost. it'll not get done to Lauras car, its still under warrantee, but I may pick up an older one at some point.

Paul.
Old 26-11-17, 04:08 PM   #165
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

The best cars around this area in snow and ice were the old 4X4 Panda and the early Subaru's. Farmers and the milk delivery lads got everywhere with them.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 05:00 PM   #166
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Years ago I went to a Mud Drag in Alaska; real Red-Neck sport. Imagine a channel 20 feet wide and 100 yards long, that has had water pumped into it for a week - in fact, don't imagine - have a look here:

All day long the Good 'Ol Boys with their highly tuned jeeps and pickups were blasting into this thing and getting towed out by a Caterpillar. There was even an official Ford "Big Foot" entry, running 5000hp on nitrous and alcohol; it succeeded in getting through, but was one of very few.

...then a local rolled up in a Suzuki SJ413, bog (geddit?) standard, as far as I could tell. The yanks were killing themselves with amusement, hootin' and hollerin'!
He trundled in one end, danced along the surface of the mud, and trundled out at the other... ...and they all shut up! Very funny to watch!

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 05:31 PM   #167
slatteybarn

One of the cars that knocks around the family is a Renault rx4 scenic,an old 52plate machine that point blank refuses to get stuck,it handles mud to a fair depth,wet grass slopes,snow,it has a part time 4x4 system that cuts in when the front wheels start to slip similar to the Freelander system.
We also have a Subaru pick up that we have never managed to get stuck,and I have tried on many occasions.much to my discust.I'm a Landrover man at heart.

Regards
Phil.
slatteybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 06:25 PM   #168
Robotstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
<snip> ...then a local rolled up in a Suzuki SJ413, bog (geddit?) standard, as far as I could tell. The yanks were killing themselves with amusement, hootin' and hollerin'!
He trundled in one end, danced along the surface of the mud, and trundled out at the other... ...and they all shut up! Very funny to watch!

MP
I saw something similar at an AWDC (all wheel drive club) trials competition a few years ago, the little Suzukis and Haflingers cleared a lot of the sections, the funniest part was a huge Jeep Grand Wagoneer?, it was so wide it failed to get through the start gate

Stuart.
Old 26-11-17, 06:46 PM   #169
pulsechoes

Seen a few of those mud runner videos on YouTube. Have You seen the one with the entrepreneurial couple featured. He sells cheap necklaces for a couple of bucks then the extremely top heavy young lady comes round later and takes the necklace off You and whips up the front of her very tight t-shirt for your camera!!
Old 26-11-17, 07:05 PM   #170
Paul_Sterling

Though i've only done off road courses in a Defender 110, I know a good few guys who off road in their Jimny's, and for the most part, their only limitation is wheel size, and track, the latter being simply because most off roaders use Land rovers and their track is quite a bit wider than the Jimny, so you are often two wheels in the track and two wheels on the crest, doesn't do the neck muscles much good!

Paul.