UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Welcome! > Newbies, introduce yourself...

Notices

Old 04-07-10, 03:35 PM   #1
woodlandsfolk

Default Hi - Villiers KM15 HS Propane - in a boat!

Hi - I've got a Villiers MK15 HS. It's fitted (as original equipment) to a 50 year old wooden 16ft boat, and it runs on propane - the engine is stamped 'PRO MK15/2 HS'. I need to get the engine running (urgently - family saying summer is here etc) before fixing it back into the waiting boat.

WORK DONE SO FAR...
I've fitted a new coil, condenser, ht lead and plug from Villiers Spares. The exhaust studs snapped and these have been heli-coiled. Set timing to 1/8 BTDC. It has the Villiers recoil starter pull fitted and a propane carb. Other than that it's a standard engine.

WHY WON'T IT WORK?
I started the engine for the first time on propane and finally got it running but it just keeps stopping and I can't get it to tick over... The best attempt ran for about 15 seconds and then just stopped.

I've fiddled with the slow running setting, but being a propane carb there is no main jet so not much else to fiddle with.

I wondered if the timing has slipped - I'll strip it down and check this before doing any more. I've set this so that the points just open when the piston is 1/8" before top dead centre.

Any ideas why it won't run? New ignition, stripped down carb and cleaned it, ground in the valves... HELP!

Does anyone have one of these running on propane?

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-07-10, 03:53 PM   #2
The wild eye
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Location: In your fridge turning the light off when you close the door

Hello and welcome to the forum

Not a lot can be wrong if you have the timing set correct and your ignition parts are new .

I have got a Villiers MK12 24v generator that is powered by gas and I had a similar problem last year , I was using a large butane cylinder to start it just to check it was fine for a rally and it would not start .

The cylinder I was using had sat in my garden for a few years untouched and the gas was not at its best , When I used a new cylinder from my camper it started and ran as normal .

Try a different gas cylinder it might make a difference .

When I put the butane cylinder on my camp stove it burned with black smoke for about half an hour and then cleared up .

Edit

Some picture of the boat would be good
Steve
Old 04-07-10, 04:00 PM   #3
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Hi there,

I have a high speed mk12.

The carbs on the high speed models do not really have any slow speed adjustment and as a result the slowest I can get my Mk12 to idle is about 900-1000RPM. Is it running and then just dropping speed, hinting on the govenor? If so you may need to adjust the throttle stop screw behind the carb.

When I rebuilt the magneto on mine I had a lot of problems, eventualy using a battery to boost the coil. After a few minuits running with that I was able to dispence with the batteries and it runs perfectley now.

I hope you can get it to go, their good little units.

All the best,

Phill.
wolseley phill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 07:09 PM   #4
woodlandsfolk

Thanks for the replies - it gives me confidence!

You mentioned the gas quality - I was testing it today on our fresh propane cylinder that feeds our cooker, so I think the gas is OK. Is there any advantage in Butane? This originally ran on Propane and I can fit a couple of the 3.9kg bottles on the boat.

I think Wolseley Phil might be right about the magneto - I'll strip this down again and check the timing. It seemed to give an OK spark when turning it on the bench. I'm sure I set the timing OK, but I'd better re-check it - such a pain as it is buried under cowling etc...

I'll also take the carb into the engineers in town tomorrow and use their airline to blow everything thoroughly.

Spark - Compression - Fuel... I don't know...

I'll update you in a day or so. Thanks again.
Old 04-07-10, 07:55 PM   #5
gvinrad
Forum Supporter 2013

Cool welcome

Hi,

Welcome to the forum from sunny Suffolk, I'm sure someone out there will be able to help you get it running.

Cheers, Gerry.
Old 04-07-10, 09:08 PM   #6
woodlandsfolk

Thanks Gerry, I hope so!

The throttle cable terminates on the spring that is connected to the governor arm. Does this need to be under tension when starting? I'm not sure if this is set up correctly. Do I start the engine with the throttle (spring tension) loose or tight?...

Any advice Guys...
Old 04-07-10, 09:10 PM   #7
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Well you want the throttle wide open for starting generaly speaking, so yes you want tension on the spring. I find with no tension on the spring on my engine, the engine won't start. As soon as tension it to keep the butterfly open, away she goes!
Old 04-07-10, 10:24 PM   #8
woodlandsfolk

Thanks Phill, I'm going take off the cowling and check the ignition timing again to rule that out as an issue. 1/8" BTDC. Once this is checked OK, I'll get the carb air cleaned to be sure of no obstructions. Being a propane carb, quite a few of the internal passages are blanked off - is it correct that there is nothing (in terms of brassware) inside the main body of the carb?

The main jet is a blank brass equivalent, there is no float, and the other brass bit with the long tube bit (OK I'm new to this stuff) that sits vertically alongside the float is also not present.

I just wondered if there is something missing in the carb that is causing all this trouble? Is it correct that there is only slow running adjustment screw and the idle throttle stop screw?
Old 04-07-10, 10:31 PM   #9
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Your correct that there are only jet and throttle screws.

I don't think anythings missing from the carb but if you could photogtraph it then that would be a great help to us.

To set the timing accuratly you really need to take the head off and measure 1/8th" from TDC. I spent ages faffing around with my Mk12 trying to set the timing but as soon as I removed the head and did it properly (don't go by timing marks) then it went straight away!
Old 04-07-10, 11:04 PM   #10
Mowersman
Forum Supporter 2012

Are you sure the timing should be 1/8 btdc
most are 3/16 btdc