UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Member's Vehicles

Old 09-09-17, 09:18 PM   #1221
Appletop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
What no white ribbons

Neil.
Got blown off with the tremendous top speed.....

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 09:20 PM   #1222
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
Nice try Rob, but I really don't think so

Neil.
Old 09-09-17, 09:53 PM   #1223
Robotstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
Either that or the tail end of hurricane Irma passed over Norfolk?

Stuart.
Old 09-09-17, 11:34 PM   #1224
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

It was lashing with rain so I never put them on in the end. I had a friend drive Dad and his wife Sarah home in his 1950's Bentley R type, so they had a more luxurious trip home - white ribbons included.

Another slow 120 miles in the Rover tonight ferrying guests too and fro.. I'll go back to work on Monday for a rest.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-17, 12:31 PM   #1225
Robotstar5

I'd looked at some of the recent posts so this morning started at the beginning, 3 hours later and apart from the missing photo's it's been a good thread.
I've owned most models of Land Rover over the years so know what it's like to have the green oval bug
I must say you've done a cracking job and the way you keep on top of things will have many more years of service out of the old girl while modern "euroboxes" end up in the scrapyard.

Stuart.
Old 28-09-17, 05:45 PM   #1226
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Thank you, when I look back at the old pictures it has come a long way - it shouldn't have been on the road..

Still enjoying using it everyday, it's covered 800 miles over the last couple of weeks.

Phill.
Old 23-10-17, 10:46 PM   #1227
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Shortly after the wedding I had some carburetor troubles with WRD (Thanked my lucky stars it didn't happen on the day!) and decided it was time to do something about it - the carb was stripped that night and temporary repairs made.

Now that the rally season is over, I've had a free weekend to get the SU carburetor fitted.

Here is the standard set up before work started:

IMGA0329 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

The SU HI6 in place, the inlet manifold is specific to the conversion and the exhaust is standard, though I have opened out the ports a bit with the dremmel - the casting was quite restrictive.

IMGA0337 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

I've yet to fit the free flow exhaust and do any more than basic setting up, but the improvement is staggering. The power is right through the rev range too - pulls very strongly at low revs and just keeps going up hills in overdrive too. The smooth and quiet running is very noticeable, I didn't realize just how "lumpy" it was.

Still intending to get a small trailer to rally the lighting plant next year, I'll be a lot happier towing the extra weight with the Rover now.

Phill.
Old 23-10-17, 11:16 PM   #1228
Robotstar5

Have you re-used the oil bath air filter or gone for a less restrictive paper element type?.

Stuart.
Old 24-10-17, 08:32 AM   #1229
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolseley phill View Post
Shortly after the wedding I had some carburetor troubles with WRD (Thanked my lucky stars it didn't happen on the day!) and decided it was time to do something about it - the carb was stripped that night and temporary repairs made.

Now that the rally season is over, I've had a free weekend to get the SU carburetor fitted.

Here is the standard set up before work started:

I've yet to fit the free flow exhaust and do any more than basic setting up, but the improvement is staggering. The power is right through the rev range too - pulls very strongly at low revs and just keeps going up hills in overdrive too. The smooth and quiet running is very noticeable, I didn't realize just how "lumpy" it was.

Still intending to get a small trailer to rally the lighting plant next year, I'll be a lot happier towing the extra weight with the Rover now.

Phill.
Phill,

Its often surprising how much you get used to a vehicle going steadily off the boil, and when you change stuff, the improvement becomes very noticeable, its been like that with the brakes on my Disco, they have been degrading for a long time, and its only recently i've noticed just how poor they are. so Major rework in progress (new servo, vac pump, master cylinder, stainless steel flexis- and then discs and pads).

Cheers, Paul.
Old 24-10-17, 09:03 AM   #1230
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Our 300 Tdi 90 is still going strong, it's 21 years old now, we've had it for 14 of those years. No welding for this MOT, but we've had a new rear cross member a couple of years ago, plus a new drivers footwell. Only one advisory this year, which was rear brake pipe corrosion.

Bosch injection turbo Diesel Engine is strong as ever, and never misses a beat. 110,000 miles now.

It seems you can keep them going for very little money, if you are happy to do a bit of welding now and then, we keep ours inside which helps, but make sure we let her dry out first. Cosmetically she has a few issues after we used to trial her, but now we have stopped doing that. Our mileage is pretty low, less than 5,000 per annum.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.

Last edited by PuttPuttBang; 24-10-17 at 09:07 AM.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote