UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Member's Vehicles

Old 11-12-16, 10:05 PM   #1131
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

The Christmas crank up is fast approaching and the winch needs fitting:

Having cut the steel spreader plates to size, they have been drilled for the fixing bolts.

Having then bolted the two plates together, I marked up and drilled the mounting bolt holes - using a pair of v blocks to level the plates, it didn't give any trouble once clamped.

The bolt holes just need transferring onto the tub now, I'll use some better quality bolts though.

The winch cable is going to pass through the bulkhead, rather than milling a stainless fairlead as planned, I'm thinking of using one of these:

The winch cable will just fit through and replacement are cheap and plentiful - it also means boring only one hole in the bulkhead.

Once bolted in, the winch just required an electrical supply.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 10:07 PM   #1132
'A' Lister

Jerry can holders between the wings? First off, won't that obstruct the flow of air through the radiator (we're bound to get a hot summer eventually!)? To be honest, most rallies have a good supply of water so why take coals to Newcastle? If you aren't careful any fuel-saving advantage gained through fitting those freewheel hubs will be negated by the drag and weight (and cost) of fitting unnecessary exterior embellishments. Save your money for essential repairs. It's an old Land Rover, so there will be plenty of things to spend your hard-earned cash on as time goes by, trust me, I've been there!
Old 11-12-16, 10:27 PM   #1133
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

The jerry can holders I have in mind sit far enough apart that they shouldn't cause any cooling issues. Quite a few of the small events I do don't have water on tap within easy reach of the engine line so it's better to be self sufficient.

To be honest, once loaded up for a weekend away, 40 litres of water makes little difference to the speed or fuel consumption!

Phill.
Old 18-12-16, 09:06 PM   #1134
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

I finally found a few hours to fit the load bay winch to the Land Rover today. All went to plan and although not yet "hard wired", it has been tested and works perfectly.

The winch is mounted with a pair of steel spreader plates, each 20mm thick.

A 20mm brass gland has been fitted to the rear bulkhead, it may need to be replaced with a proper fairlead but the cables seems to spool on and off the drum just fine. The glad fitting only requires a small hole to be cut in the bulkhead and is easily replaced when worn out.

Phill.
Old 19-12-16, 12:41 PM   #1135
'A' Lister

Sorry if you've already got something in place that I can't see in the photos, but would this set-up benefit from a small roller at the end of the loadspace floor for the cable to run over? It would probably save wear and tear on the cable and a groove forming at the end of the floor; it might also give a straighter pull through the brass gland?

An alternative to bolting something on to the back of the vehicle (which might get in the way when loading, or be a trip hazard when getting out of the back of the vehicle) might be to mount the roller on a suitable steel plate with pegs under it, which could seat into 'peg holes' in the floor with a correspondingly drilled spreader plate/block underneath. The pressure of the wire rope bearing down on it would probably keep it in place as long as the pegs were long enough and a snug enough fit to stop it tipping/pulling out sideways? You could then remove it when not in use. You'd have to check the clearance height of trolley axles over the roller though, and make sure it clears, and that the mounting point clears the rear crossmember, so perhaps this idea is a bit overcomplicated (or, depending on heights, angles and distances from chassis cross-members, is unfeasible)?

Regardless of whether or not you decide to try a roller, you'd need to make sure that this sort of set up won't pull the ramps off the back of the vehicle or cause the end of the ramps to flip up as the engine reaches the top. I don't know how securely your ramps hook on, or if any sort of fulcrum effect might occur? better safe than sorry, so I thought I'd mention it.

I'd imagine you'd be able to make a suitable roller and mounting system on your lathe, perhaps as a Christmas holiday project for when the TV goes bad and the novelty of turkey and stuffing butties wears off?! Anyway, just an idea for you to consider (so don't blame me if it's rubbish and doesn't work!)... I'm good at finding work for people!

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 19-12-16 at 02:45 PM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-16, 01:14 PM   #1136
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

We modified an Indespension boat roller to carry the winch cable on the trailer.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-16, 03:24 PM   #1137
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Phil appears to be using a small piece of wood to protect the sill; I can tell you from long experience that a small square of carpet works beautifully!

MP

Oh... P.S. Phil run out you cable to the length of the ramps, then add another 2 or 3 feet and mark that length. Next, cut off all of the cable that remains on the winch drum and drop it in the bin! All that cable is doing is increasing the diameter of the winch drum and making the winch's life harder (and shorter!) You may find that your fairlead is a problem in the long run - if the cable accumulates in the middle of the drum then the same effect happens. You don't need a fancy roller fairlead, but a slot might be better than a hole. MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-16, 08:26 PM   #1138
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks for the comments gents, I like the idea of a roller - the problem of the cable fouling the seal strip hadn't even crossed my brain cell... there is clearance for something up to about 2" high and I have a suitable lump of PTFE bar stock somewhere.

Thanks for the tip on the winch rope Martin, makes a great deal of sense and will also reduce the current draw I should think. Originally I was intending to mill a fairlead from a piece of stainless steel and I agree it may well be necessary after a bit of use - will see how it goes.

Jules, the ramps have a cut out so that they hook over the door seal strip - when first made, I had an "exciting" moment where the 5hp Conord and ramps were both being winched into the back simultaneously... somehow got out of that one unscathed - the current set up is much safer!

I am intending to make some new ramps from aluminium channel, a Lister D is the heaviest thing they have to contend with now and the current ramps are just too heavy for what they have to do.

Phill.
Old 19-12-16, 08:35 PM   #1139
'A' Lister

What's happened to your Lister A? Isn't that heavier than the D? Also, before you cut the wire rope, are you going to get a trailer any time soon? If so, leaving the rope full length you might be able to use it to winch onto the trailer. Perhaps buying a short length of wire rope to replace it with and keeping the longer one for future use might be better, always providing you can fit a new one to the winch hook safely? Just thinking out loud here.

NB Oh, and from memory, I think you need a certain number of turns on the drum to anchor the rope securely before putting load on... I think it might be minimum of 5 turns (Martin's suggestion of 2 or 3 feet might do this?) but do check this issue as my memory is dim as I've not played with winches for years!

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 19-12-16 at 08:42 PM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-16, 09:25 PM   #1140
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

There is some guidance on the winch rope in the manual for it, 5 turns around the drum is the minimum suggested. I've no intention of getting a trailer any time soon, though it's clear extra storage will have to be arranged at some point - it may be an option then.

The Lister A, Wolseley milking plant and a few other bits were sold on about a year ago when we moved - I just had too much stuff and the larger engines were giving me back trouble every time I moved them - having a trailer and a garage on flat ground to roll engines in and out of would make matters very different.

The other issue was safely loading and transporting the heavier engines, the Lister A was on the limit of what could be secured in the back of the Land Rover. There is just as much fun to be had with the smaller engines and they are much easier to load up, often after a days work too so I don't regret selling the others. The lighting plant will be great when it's finished, all one unit, no messing about and the weight of a Lister D - perfect.

Incidentally, the Wolseley and A type were bought by the same people who have continued to rally them in the North - they were made up with the engines when they came down to collect them and I have since seen both in the pages of SEM, looking very well cared for too.

Phill.