UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Pumps

Old 05-11-17, 12:33 PM   #1
Rookesy
Forum Supporter

Default Winter Project

I have just acquired a JAP 2S connected to a Pegson Marlow pump as a winter project. At the moment it is seized but I donít know if it is the engine or the pump or both.
The engine has 2S/V stamped in to the block and then under that is stamped in 7748/39. Am I right in thinking that it is a 1939 motor or is that too obvious?

The pump has a plaque stating it is a Pegson Marlow pump model No 1 Ĺ AIJ-J and the ser no of 710054. Mine looks different to the one on Youtube etc because it has an oblong top and the inlet/outlets are on the side. There is also a large brass nut on the top. The letter between the A and the J could be an I or a lower case L.

The only information I could find was that the National Archives have a diagram, including parts list, showing layout of 1Ĺ AL/2AJ, does anyone know anything about these pumps please.
Old 05-11-17, 12:44 PM   #2
air-cooled

V is the date code, it could be 1936 or 1956, but seeing as how the JAP 2S came out in 1939 then it it likely 1956.

Phillip
Old 05-11-17, 03:04 PM   #3
woodsman

and as Philip was kind enough to enlighten me..

"A company called AJH made lots of tin-ware cowlings for quite a few engine manufacturers including, but not limited to Petter, JAP, BSA and Villiers. The AJH company has not been identified as far as I am aware, but where ever their mark appears on a engine cowl it is usually accompanied by a date (year only) which can be useful in helping to date engines."

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman - but tha can't tell him much.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 06:04 PM   #4
Rookesy
Forum Supporter

Gents,
Thanks for the information, I thought it was too simple that the /39 in the serial number would be the year.
Old 13-11-17, 08:33 PM   #5
Rookesy
Forum Supporter

Default Help with pump please

I would appreciate a bit of help with this pump.
I have looked on the internet but I could not find any pumps like this one with the flat top. Sorry it is laid on its side something happened uploading the attachment. The info at the National Archive is not for this pump.
I have got most of it apart but Iím stuck with the impeller. There are 2 holes that go though to the rear casing, my first thoughts were that they could be for unscrewing the impeller from the crank. Having cleaned it up some more there is a slot that looks like it is a keyway of some description. Does anyone know if the impeller unscrews or if it is a push fit onto the keyway.
Thanks in anticipation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0002a.jpg (64.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.jpg (66.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 13-11-17, 11:13 PM   #6
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Have a poke down the keyway slot, if there is a key it has to be a straightforward pull to remove.

Neil.
Old 13-11-17, 11:31 PM   #7
pulsechoes
Forum Supporter 2011

There will be a key in there (not a gib key, so You won't need to take it out). Are the holes tapped? If so the 2 bolts in there should see the impeller off, providing the casing behind the impeller is up to it! Otherwise a "cross slot" gear puller with bolts through the holes and nuts on the back will definitely get it off with a soaking of Plus Gas and a bit of heat. The cross slot puller can be easily made from flat bar and a few nuts and bolts if You're handy with a welder.
Attached is a picture of the puller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7393_7492_0.jpg (42.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by pulsechoes; 13-11-17 at 11:36 PM.
pulsechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 08:54 PM   #8
Rookesy
Forum Supporter

I have checked the holes and they are not threaded nor can I get behind to put a nut on. I tried heat last night and tonight with penetrating oil in the mean time but nothing is moving yet. I did manage to chip the impeller slightly so I am having to go gently. I think this is going to need a lot of patience.
Old 15-11-17, 10:25 PM   #9
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Can you tap a thread in the holes ?

Neil.
Old 15-11-17, 11:06 PM   #10
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Do you have access to a press? If so, probably easiest to press the shaft out of the bearing housing, then press the impeller off. The impeller is probably on a woodruff key and should press over - you won't tease it off with a screwdriver.

If you just want to remove the impeller, as Neil suggests you could tap a thread in those holes in the impeller for a pair of jacking bolts. Use a hot air gun to heat the impeller before cranking them up. Plenty of plusgas should help the process.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote