UK Stationary Engine Forum
 

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Model & Gas Engines

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-17, 03:33 PM   #21
Georgineer
Forum Light User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 23
Default Petter car engine

Research carries on. I've been fortunate to acquire a load of early Stationary Engine magazines (thanks, Andy) and in No. 25 of March 1975 David Edgington said:

"I was very privileged recently to be allowed to see the very first Petter engine in action. It was made in 1893/4 and was the actual engine which powered the car which carried certain members of the Petter family!"

Leaving aside the fact that David's dates can't be right, does anybody know where the engine is now (I presume it still exists) and whether it is possible to see it?

George
Georgineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-17, 04:13 PM   #22
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter
 
martinpaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 11,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgineer View Post
...David Edgington said:

"I was very privileged recently to be allowed to see the very first Petter engine in action. It was made in 1893/4 and was the actual engine which powered the car which carried certain members of the Petter family!"

Leaving aside the fact that David's dates can't be right, does anybody know where the engine is now (I presume it still exists) and whether it is possible to see it?
It is recorded that the Petter car was completed in 1895, so David was not far out. It ran extensively in the area. The car and engine are both pictured in the Petters history; "A Path to Their Door".

The engine was donated to the Yeovil museum - they should know where it now resides. If they are anything like other museums, it is probably in storage, making way for video screens...

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-17, 09:40 PM   #23
Robotstar5
Senior Member
 
Robotstar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
It is recorded that the Petter car was completed in 1895, so David was not far out. It ran extensively in the area. The car and engine are both pictured in the Petters history; "A Path to Their Door".

The engine was donated to the Yeovil museum - they should know where it now resides. If they are anything like other museums, it is probably in storage, making way for video screens...

MP
Birmingham Science Museum is a classic case, they (were forced to) moved to a new home in Millenium Point and now have only a fraction of the exhibits and lots of interactive displays with flashing lights and sound.
__________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.
Robotstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-17, 10:05 PM   #24
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter
 
martinpaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 11,181
Default

We know; if you were to search the forum you might find an item from several years ago, looking for a very rare Tangye vertical engine. When I first challenged Birmingham they denied all knowledge. When I insisted, they found it in storage.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-17, 10:26 PM   #25
Robotstar5
Senior Member
 
Robotstar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
We know; if you were to search the forum you might find an item from several years ago, looking for a very rare Tangye vertical engine. When I first challenged Birmingham they denied all knowledge. When I insisted, they found it in storage.

MP
I can thank Tangye for living in Birmingham my great great grandfather came up from Cornwall with Tangye Bros when they set up the foundry in Cornwall Road in Smethwick!

As a child and teenager I spent many happy hours in the science museum in Newhall Street, they used to organise a steam traction engine display outside. I've got some photos from then but I'll post them separately to save taking this thread too far OT.
__________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.
Robotstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-17, 10:39 PM   #26
Georgineer
Forum Light User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
...The engine was donated to the Yeovil museum - they should know where it now resides. If they are anything like other museums, it is probably in storage, making way for video screens...

MP
Thanks Martin, and guess what - this is from wikipedia, and I presume it is the same museum:

"The Museum of South Somerset was located in Hendford, Yeovil, Somerset, England. It was also the location of a Tourist information centre. The museum was closed in 2011 and its collections were moved to the Community Heritage Access Centre at SSDC Lufton Depot, 7 Artillery Road, Lufton."

At least it wasn't making way for video screens. I shall make further enquiries.

George
Georgineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.