UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Other Driven Equipment

Old 13-07-16, 11:20 PM   #1
stevelew
Forum Light User

Default Marco compressor

Hi all,
The Lister D I bought came attached to this Marco compressor

With this tank, or evaporator tank?

I'm guessing this is a refrigerant compressor from other references to the Marco name?
Now curiosity got the better of me and if it was to be of no use I may as well have a look inside

everything looks in good condition

The head is soaking in molasses at this moment as the plates and springs that hold the spring steel intake "flaps" are a little rusty

The only difference I can see between this and an air compressor is the crankcase is vented into the inlet.

I've tapped this hole with the idea of blanking it and venting the crankcase with a different arrangement on the fill plug, but before I waste any more time on this what would stop this being a useful air compressor for occasional use?
stevelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-16, 12:16 AM   #2
1956ld1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelew View Post
Hi all,
The Lister D I bought came attached to this Marco compressor

With this tank, or evaporator tank?

I'm guessing this is a refrigerant compressor from other references to the Marco name?
Now curiosity got the better of me and if it was to be of no use I may as well have a look inside

everything looks in good condition

The head is soaking in molasses at this moment as the plates and springs that hold the spring steel intake "flaps" are a little rusty

The only difference I can see between this and an air compressor is the crankcase is vented into the inlet.

I've tapped this hole with the idea of blanking it and venting the crankcase with a different arrangement on the fill plug, but before I waste any more time on this what would stop this being a useful air compressor for occasional use?
Its a very nice piece of kit by the looks of things, I don't own one but check out this mans setup. https://youtu.be/RWJNRaBDJxU .
Hope this helps,
Josh
1956ld1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 02:49 PM   #3
ListerHA2

Are there any valves in the top of the pistons?
ListerHA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 10:22 PM   #4
stevelew
Forum Light User

No, flat top cast iron pistons.
stevelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-16, 02:44 PM   #5
ListerHA2

I had a similar 2 cylinder many years ago, it had valves in the top of the pistons to shift the air from the sump. A bit of a pain as they are designed to retrieve the outgoing oil mist with the return refrigerant.
Oiled the air tools well but needed constant topping up, failing that an oil separator may have been missing.
ListerHA2 is offline   Reply With Quote