UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Other Driven Equipment

Old 02-01-16, 07:02 PM   #1
marshall41332

Default Wool Carding Machine

Good evening all, do we have anyone on here who knows about woolspinning? This little fellow has found it's way down to darkest sussex, but I know very little about it other than it appears to be a drum carder, which is a batch feed machine rather than a through feed machine, as it has no licker roller to take the carded fibres off...

This is a side view of it, not a single makers plate or any casting marks to be seen...

This is the infeed end, the fluted roller is geared to the drum and feeds the uncombed fibres onto the pins on the rotating drum seen behind.

Here is the drum, this combs the fibres out of the infeed rollers, straightens them out, and gathers them up around the drum. When the drum is full of combed fibres, the machine is stopped and the fibre is cut between two sets of spikes, and then unrolled from the drum... Repeat ad infinitum, or until you run out of sheep! At this stage the fibres are ready for spinning or felting.

So, does anyone have any idea who made this, age of it, and has anyone ever used one in anger?

All help gratefully received, Matt

(Why can't I embed the pictures????)

Last edited by marshall41332; 02-01-16 at 07:15 PM. Reason: trying to get photos to work...
marshall41332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-16, 07:31 PM   #2
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Links to pics work ok Matt but you seem to be suffering from the same thing as me Re. embedding images hosted on google - wish they wouldn't keep changing the way things work.

No idea on machine BTW but it does look interesting!

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-16, 08:01 PM   #3
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I have saved the images and hosted them on the Forum.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-16, 08:51 PM   #4
marshall41332

Thank you for that Peter, is it only Google/Picasa which acts up when you try and embed pictures? I have managed it from Photobucket in the past but it appears very slow to upload at the moment...

BB, Matt
Old 03-01-16, 01:13 PM   #5
fisson98

I have a Becker Carding machine here in East Sussex. It is looking for a good home if anyone is interested.
fisson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 05:14 PM   #6
marshall41332

Default Result!

Good afternoon all, thanks to information received from Robin (fisson98) it appears this machine may have been sold by R. Becker and Co., London, who according to Grace's Guide, were machinery dealers advertising around the end of the 19th/ start of the 20th century...

BB, Matt
Old 04-01-16, 12:11 AM   #7
Spark
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisson98 View Post
I have a Becker Carding machine here in East Sussex. It is looking for a good home if anyone is interested.
Oh yes - I'm interested. I've sent you a PM

Steve.
Old 07-01-16, 07:42 PM   #8
Spark
Forum Supporter 2011

I just got the carding machine so kindly offered by Robin and I would like to thank him for his generosity and kindness.

The carder is now sitting safely in my shed. It is very similar to the one in the OP, maybe a little older as it isn't quite as 'slick' but it is not in as good condition and I'm not sure it's quite complete.
I'm curious about the metal thing on the infeed table (in the first pic) that looks a bit like an ashpan - I reckon ours has gone missing, I wonder how it goes together?
The idea is to get it fully functional and use it to card fleeces from our small flock of Herdwicks.

Steve
Old 09-01-16, 09:47 AM   #9
marshall41332

Good morning all, Glad to hear that Robin's machine has found a good home! The metal chute on the infeed table in the original pictures apparently fits under the carding drum on the infeed side, I suspect it catches seeds and other debris dropping out of the wool, the fleeces we have seem to have lots of bits and pieces in them, even after washing... Having seen pictures of the other one, one major difference is that mine has reversible combs, (just visible in the first picture,) with large steel points on... What would you want to card with these?

BB, Matt
Old 09-01-16, 10:59 AM   #10
novo

I seem to remember seeing an older machine somewhere that used Teasel seed heads on a roller for "teasing" the wool.