UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Alternative Energy / Fuels

Old 17-01-17, 06:14 AM   #1
norseman

Default Centrifuge, wmo, wvo, svo

In times like these, having a few contingency plans for self sufficiency is starting to look as an increasingly better idea as world events and developments unfold.

So I'm looking at setting up a system for cleaning mentioned resources, including hydraulic oil, both for fuel and reuse as lubricants.

I am aware of the problems reported regarding ash, additives and minerals produced and accumulated through combustion, so I have decided that long term settling followed by prefilters feeding a centrifuge is the way to go.

The one I'm looking at is this one:

https://usfiltermaxx.com/en/wvo-wast...entrifuge.html

Supposedly it achieves a sub-micron filtration, and for experimentation I'm thinking about setting up a test-engine for wmo using my leftover AS2 parts, and/or use my Ashwamegh 6/1 IDI listeroid, and accumulate some hours on both.

Anyone have any experience using centrifuges, and the resulting sub-micron "black diesel" as fuel?

It would be cut with regular diesel/gasoline for thinning, and perhaps even preheated by simply wrapping the fuel lines a few times around the exhaust.

I also have 2 diesel burners, one in my house and one in the workshop, so regardless of engine wear and those problems, I see a potential for atleast recovering my initial investments.

And it would be a fun project.

But back to centrifuges to sub-micron particulates and combustion engines...

Has anyone done it?
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 10:20 AM   #2
shipshape
Forum Light User

Hello Norsman, Centrifuges are in common daily use in ships engine rooms.
Centrifuging diesel is straight forward and presents no real issues if using to clean dirty fuel. Centrifuging dirty motor oil is best done with oil at operating temperature by heating the oil in some way, but the oil is usually recirculated continuously in a ships engine sump tank. Simple centrifuges require regular cleaning, but these days they are self sludging and can work for months before cleaning. Ships units are usually made by Alfa Laval, or Westfalia. small units could possible be bought from ships breaker yards such as in Brugge Belgium.
Hope this helps
shipshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 10:43 AM   #3
norseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post
Hello Norsman, Centrifuges are in common daily use in ships engine rooms.
Centrifuging diesel is straight forward and presents no real issues if using to clean dirty fuel. Centrifuging dirty motor oil is best done with oil at operating temperature by heating the oil in some way, but the oil is usually recirculated continuously in a ships engine sump tank. Simple centrifuges require regular cleaning, but these days they are self sludging and can work for months before cleaning. Ships units are usually made by Alfa Laval, or Westfalia. small units could possible be bought from ships breaker yards such as in Brugge Belgium.
Hope this helps
Ahhh, yeah that helped. A lot.

I was aware of the centrifuges used in merchant vessels for cleaning main engine lubricants, but it never occured to me that smaller units was available in this market...

I bought one of my AS2's from a shipbreaker close to Trondheim, so I guess a call to them again would have the potential of saving me some dollars perhaps better spent elsewhere.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I'll report back on my progress with them
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 11:16 AM   #4
novo

Pardon my ignorance but could you explain in simple terms just what a centrifuge is & does & why. I dont quite get the point. I expect theres other's on here as thick as me. But everyone on here knows how thick i am. So i'm asking for us thicko's.
Old 17-01-17, 11:36 AM   #5
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

For the thicko's and Novo only
CLICK HERE

Neil.
Hornet 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 11:37 AM   #6
Lister M

A spin dryer with a fine mesh which allows the oil to pass through but not the lumps etc.
Old 17-01-17, 11:51 AM   #7
Oiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLGX-RbKuQ
Oiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 12:05 PM   #8
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Glacier manufacture oil centrifuges for truck sized engines, Scania had them on all their diesels in the 1970's:

https://albion.com.gr/2015/12/17/glacier/

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 12:35 PM   #9
oldgoat
Forum Light User

The Nissan UD diesels used them instead of a bypass filter and they were very effective. There would be a cake about 0.25 in thick on the wall at every service.
oldgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 02:46 PM   #10
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
Thats what i wanted. Thanks Oiler. To see in action is to understand.