UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop

Old 04-03-18, 07:23 PM   #461
Robotstar5

I've never heard of anyone working to + - 5 thou in wood before normally anything under 1mm is good enough.

There again, the only time I used a wood lathe was making a fruitbowl when I was at school.

Stuart.
Old 04-03-18, 07:31 PM   #462
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

...and I wouldn't normally bother either but it has to fit inside a machined bore. It's not difficult to work to that kind of accuracy.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-18, 08:43 PM   #463
effa

Default billding the shead

just like to wish you the best of look on the build I no its hard work as I have just finished mine for my ruston 6hr and is was hard work my builder friend did the brick work but I have done all the rest and it was hard but now I can sit back and enjoy , idid have photos as I was going along but the pc had a different ida .if you wont I have got the engine on my face book page thing you can see it there .or will try and get phots taken any way all the best steve
effa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-18, 08:54 PM   #464
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
Because it's winter, etc, the Sadolin isn't drying as fast as I would like, so I made a start on a little side project;

This is the handle for a very early Tangye hand pump. As you can see, the original is a little past its best, and has had visitors at some time in its long history. Hard to say what it is, but probably ash.

The replacement is a completely unknown piece of foreign hardwood, that came as part of a pallet with plywood. The job is rather long and thin and requires great care. I've done the middle first, as this is the most difficult bit - the timber is least supported in the middle and tends to vibrate. I managed to get the diameter to better than +- 5 thou, which will probably do. Next I shall finish the ends; as I move towards either end the workpiece becomes better supported and is easier to work. Finally I should be able to thin the waste pieces at the ends to almost nothing then part them off.

MP
Nice work as ever Martin. A good incentive for me to get on with the rest of the pump. It is in a sad state, having stood outside for a long time... It is a 3" Tangye "Sydney" Force pump. A few pics for those that don't follow the Tangye Group on Facebook:

Regards,
Dan

Last edited by danthetangye; 04-03-18 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Tidying up a bit!
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 06:58 PM   #465
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I got the little side job finished...

The waste pieces are just hanging on by about 3mm diameter. After this I nipped them off and cleaned up the ends.

Next it was back to the shed...

With the Sadolin hard (enough!) I fitted the shelves, and started filling them with junk that has been taking up space all over the place.

Two more shelves are now in production, ready for the radio (and more junk!), but for now I've run out of stripwood; have to wait until the builders merchant opens on Monday.

MP
Old 10-03-18, 07:03 PM   #466
Robotstar5

Have you thought of making a faux cast iron fluted column out of wood to cap the uprights supporting the beam?

Stuart.
Old 10-03-18, 09:07 PM   #467
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

Blimey Martin, those shelves aren't ever going to sag. A shed to aspire to.
Old 11-03-18, 09:27 AM   #468
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post

With the Sadolin hard (enough!)
MP
The Sadolin will "go off" eventually. We usually apply in Summer in 20C degrees of heat, in that sort of temperature a shed will dry in 3 days. Anything much cooler and it takes weeks, such that we would not consider using it after September time. In winter time I bring "projects" indoors to cure by the AGA. It's worth it in the end, a very high quality and durable finish.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 1920s 50V GE dynamo.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 10:28 AM   #469
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Yup! The panelling was painted several weeks ago now and is nice and hard. The shed is heated so it doesn't take long for stuff to go off; Sadolin is fit to handle in 2 days. I've used the stuff many times and I also try to restrict outdoor use to the summer.

Thanks Jamie - I also think there are too many brackets, but they're in the studs and half as many would have been too few. There is a fair bit of weight up there already: that Hornsby lamp on its own is a serious weight, and in the corner is an old oil engine piston.

MP
Old 11-03-18, 04:09 PM   #470
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Now is a good time for some of the "side projects" to be coming to a close...

This will be going up above the big window - there's a bit of spare wall up there . The board is leftover larch from the shed cladding. The big prop is from a target drone, and the others are model aircraft props of various vintage; the oldest 1920s.

Bearing in mind that the main engine going in here is my Alexander Shanks, I have been collecting Shanks ephemera for a while, this is just some;

The adverts are interesting, particularly the electric/steam mower in the tall narrow frame, but the letters are even more interesting... The blue sheet is dated 1875 and is an apology for a mower arriving broken, for the second time! Clearly they had UPS in Victorian times... The letter on the left is a grovelling apology for pursuing 4 shillings that the client didn't owe! The Oil Engine Department letter at the top is touting for repair work.

These will also be on the walls. I have more Shanks spanners, but no more plates. If anybody comes across Shanks plates (but not "Britisher") then I'm interested.

MP