UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Diesel Engine Section

Old 25-12-17, 12:15 AM   #11
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Boxing day? What's wrong with tomorrow!

NHH
Hitherto, that has not been an issue when we have spent Christmas day at the mother in laws. Anna has bought me an engine for Christmas several times and I have spent the 25th getting it going whilst they watch the doom and gloom on the box.
This year things are different and I will actually be unwrapping a present from under the tree........ and no, it is not a small model open crank. I intend to take my computer and some headphones over there instead so I can watch some interesting stuff on YouTube rather than seeing who dies on Suiciders!

Dan.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-17, 12:15 AM   #12
Grendel
Forum Supporter 2012

Oh, and since this "saving business" is only getting worse, take my advice and get rid of the trolley and get yourself a forklift.
You will thank me for it in the end.
Old 25-12-17, 12:56 AM   #13
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_pt View Post
If its an ugly broken and heavy Diesel I just can't resist it! At least its being air cooled means that there isn't any frost damage.

Dan.
National AH1 waiting in the wings here Dan

Paul.
Old 25-12-17, 03:36 PM   #14
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Good luck Dan, i'm sure you'll have it running soon enough.

Neil.
Old 27-12-17, 09:25 PM   #15
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sterling View Post
National AH1 waiting in the wings here Dan

Paul.
I'd love it mate but its shape means it takes up lots of room that I just don't have.

Some progress has been made as I have had a look at the pumps. These were seized solid and had been soaking for ages in a bucket of very dirty diesel. They have had some abuse as there are hammer marks around where the tappet circlip fits on one unit, this made removing said clip an absolute nightmare!
Fortunately stripping the rest of the pumps revealed nothing nasty, they actually appear to be in fine fettle so should definitely go again.
Both pump lifters in the engine were also stuck fast but were easily freed off.

The injectors are going to be a real pain to sort as I can't get them out of the heads, someone else has been there and had a go and failed. They twist two and fro but will not pull out. It feels like the nozzle sleeves are unscrewing to me. I may have to pull the heads and press them out...I will be able to look into the non existent compressions at the same time while I am there

Dan.
Old 04-01-18, 10:26 PM   #16
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

This engine has had a bit of attention since I last posted and I have actually had it running, albeit briefly! I managed to restore compression on cylinder 2 with some oil down the inlet port and cranking it on the starter. It fired briefly and sounded well but soon stopped as the injector gave up the ghost completely.
Nothing else left to do but pull the top off..

No issues were encountered during the strip down and the bores are in very good condition.

The heads spent a few hours in the hot wash and the heat had the desired effect on one injector that came out relatively easily, the other put up much more of a fight. The heads are unlike any I have seen before in that the injector passes through the "top deck" and into a short steel sleeve, the sleeve fits into a finned aluminium casting lower down and finally into the combustion chamber.

The top sleeve is retained with a circlip at the top and fortuantely for me there is sufficient room to get a pick in and flick the clip out and allowing the injector, complete with the sleeve to be removed.

Once in a vice, the injector was soon extricated from the sleeve. The injectors don't look too bad and are with a colleague who will hopfully get them working properly.

The heads didn't clean up too bad but look at that exhaust valve seat!

The corresponding face of the valve was just as uneven so I had both of the exhaust valves refaced at my local engine reconditioner. I cut new seats myself and lapped them in tonight, the massive leak is now gone. Both exhaust valves were worn so I am very surprised that cylinder 2 had good enough compression to run at all.

Dan.
Old 04-01-18, 11:18 PM   #17
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Looks a bit lightweight Dan - fancy something that won't blow away in all this windy weather? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackston...53.m1438.l2649

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 01:15 AM   #18
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Looks a bit lightweight Dan - fancy something that won't blow away in all this windy weather? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackston...53.m1438.l2649

NHH
Do you have any idea of the likely consequences of this post

Neil.
Old 05-01-18, 01:36 AM   #19
1956ld1

Or this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Liste...oAAOSwOyJX8vUT .....
1956ld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 01:41 AM   #20
pulsechoes

Nay, lad, this is the one You want!! Far more "metal for Your money".

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322890752780